Discuss Do you lock off? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Do you lock off?

• Always

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Usually

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Rarely

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Never

Votes: 12 18.8%

• Total voters
Health and Safety used to be given a nod and a wink, but now it is heavily applied as crown immunity(I may have the wrong wording there) giving exemption from prosecution was removed.

In certain areas it definitely still gets ignored, the fact that it will invariably be the MOD and not the individual who gets prosecuted helps this.

Certain things, like 2 man lifts for gunnery rounds, scaffolding for reaching high areas are so impractical on a ship.

'Crown immunity' ... correct, not sure that it has been removed from all areas of MOD activity though.

In the world of military aviation there are similar concerns over tool control. After doing the right job, it is part of doing the right job right; loose articles, either left in the wrong place by tradespeople or lost by aircrew or passengers have lead to fatal incidents. The hassle and 'lost' operating and maintainer hours as a result of such an incident are significant! To that end all tools, should be 'tagged out' and back in however great the pressure of work or aircrew shouting for their 'cab' before an aircrafts' maintenance paperwork is 'coordinated' and the aircraft is allowed to fly! The real difficulties arrise with 'snags' that occur on 'crew-in' when there are no 'hot' spares.

Last edited:
Very rare. Either tape or keep the switch off tell the customer not to switch on or shout yolo and change whatever live ... once changed a CU live, stuck the meter tails in 2 massive chock blocks.

Some will read that and think joker, some will read that and think this nob is telling the truth ... all vote now!

Very rare. Either tape or keep the switch off tell the customer not to switch on or shout yolo and change whatever live ... once changed a CU live, stuck the meter tails in 2 massive chock blocks.

Some will read that and think joker, some will read that and think this nob is telling the truth ... all vote now!

I hear you. Probably best putting this comment in the pub though away from eyes that may take what you said as good advice.

Is this a do as I say comment and not what I do???

:49:Telling the truth because you typed that with your thumbs.

You are correct Pete. I'd take an electrical shock over being irradiated by a pointing radar anyday.

The shiphaz procedure I mentioned is extremely robust, and for outside contractors permits to work need to be signed by various personnel. The tagout system when properly used is also a very transparent and robust system.

Prior to health and safety, there were always safe working practices onboard, it's just more formalised now, the main example being written risk assessments for just about every conceivable job onboard.
worked on some land based stuff many moons ago

I hear you. Probably best putting this comment in the pub though away from eyes that may take what you said as good advice.

Is this a do as I say comment and not what I do???

lol ... If people take what i said seriously, then to be honest, they deserve to feel the full force of electricity.

I got a bit slack over past two years but after xmas I got a half price lock off set for 20 quid, using it on every job now and feeling good about it, tick all the boxes safe and it looks professional

nah dont use chock block, these are what you want.

couple of these will do you grand.

7c989ab72d40e4acc09718a1f1002186.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm at least 11 liars here lol, so you go into a empty house to add one socket next to a socket on the ring, you lock off the breaker in the board even though it is a half hour job and the house completely empty? yeah right, I really believe you chuckle.

Reply to Do you lock off? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net