Discuss Do you need an earth rod for an outbuilding? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Josh, I'm thinking this design may be affected by reg 434.2 and 434.2.1(i) which seems to limit length of an un-fused spur to 3m.
I would add a new radial to CU. Cheers.

So it seems, probably doesn't need a CU just fit socket/s straight to it with a FCU for the lights.

If the ring in the house isn't RCD protected then I'd make the FCU an RCD unit so that the SWA is RCD protected as so is the shed.

TFP10WL TIMEGUARD, CONNECTION UNIT, RCD, FUSED, WHITE | Farnell element14 - http://uk.farnell.com/timeguard/tfp10wl/connection-unit-rcd-fused-white/dp/1642925?

A small CU in the summer house with a 10A for the sockets and a 6A for lights would then be ok.

That then opens the question of: Should the shed CU be metal...?

If remote from the house and not part of the habitation then possibly no but as its wood its flammable.

And maybe 5 would understand why their doing it which way!

Yes big spark. You're 100% right.
The trouble is, all electricians give a very convincing argument for either method.
So it's finding out which half of the discussion, those 5 belong to.
Especially when this is this first time I have had to think through this particular issue.
I wasn't trying to insult anyone.

Josh Josh Josh i have looked at your thread and have joined to reply to how unhelpful and belittling the support some people give. but others are there to help.

I'm not sure .I've always put Rod in but saw an article and it said it could create problems

Welcome to the forum! Worth bearing in mind this thread is around 7 years old though.

Reply to Do you need an earth rod for an outbuilding? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net