Discuss Dodgy 1363 plug. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

NDG Elecs

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Noticed this a couple of days ago on a Wahl hairdryer my daughter has.

The cover section of the plug is made from a less than rigid plastic, allowing the cover to easily bend and expose the fuse and live pin. I will email Wahl about this as this is the factory fitted plug. Whether it has softened over time I do not know. I would say the hairdryer is 2-3 years old, so a poor show regardless.

There is no CE mark on the plug but there is BSI kitemark and BS1363 markings.

Check your plugs ladies!! And any of you lads with long hair!

Dodgy 1363 plug. IMG_20160427_113421 - EletriciansForums.net

Are you sure that's factory fitted? Surprised to see a non-moulded original mains plug. Daz

silly arse, that's the new iet plug standard enabling you to get your R1+R2 without stripping the plugtop.:behead:

Are you sure that's factory fitted? Surprised to see a non-moulded original mains plug. Daz

Bought from new and I have never changed it, and the missus certainly wouldn't have. It did have a rubber cable entry on the plug which has been transferred to the new plug. It was just an insert to reduce chafing.

Unusual these days. Also, I would have thought someone like Wahl would have used decent quality plugs. Daz

Unusual these days. Also, I would have thought someone like Wahl would have used decent quality plugs. Daz

Does seem a bit odd I agree.

Perhaps Wahl changed suppliers for a cost reduction for a while then decided after that it was a fruitless exercise. Theses things do happen with companies if they source parts elsewhere. Probably some new kid in the office hoping to make it up the ladder. It does happen.

TheGayOwl, a silly question, but was the dryer bought new from a reputable source? You get can get excellent looking fake products these days that raise their ugly heads when things start to go wrong. :uhoh2:

Does seem a bit odd I agree.

Perhaps Wahl changed suppliers for a cost reduction for a while then decided after that it was a fruitless exercise. Theses things do happen with companies if they source parts elsewhere. Probably some new kid in the office hoping to make it up the ladder. It does happen.

TheGayOwl, a silly question, but was the dryer bought new from a reputable source? You get can get excellent looking fake products these days that raise their ugly heads when things start to go wrong. :uhoh2:

Hi David, yep would have been bought from a proper shop like Boots Asda Argos or similar most likely. We never buy off eBay or from markets etc. Could have been Amazon though which is a bit of a free for all at times!!

Hi David, yep would have been bought from a proper shop like Boots Asda Argos or similar most likely. We never buy off eBay or from markets etc. Could have been Amazon though which is a bit of a free for all at times!!

Yeah, well you would expect genuine products from the big superstores. Maybe if it was from Amazon a bad batch slipped through?

Out of interest it might be worth checking out similar Wahl products that you know are the real deal to see if they have similar plugs. I know things like that bug me :)

Last edited:
Missus reckons she defo bought it from Amazon. Though her memory has always been questionable haha!

Missus reckons she defo bought it from Amazon. Though her memory has always been questionable haha!
I bought my granddaughter a wall/ceiling projector lamp from Amazon . It is one of the 'naffest' poorly made pieces of tat I have seen in a long time.
I never did get around to sending it back.

Bought from new and I have never changed it, and the missus certainly wouldn't have. It did have a rubber cable entry on the plug which has been transferred to the new plug. It was just an insert to reduce chafing.[/QUOTE]

...One of my least successful defense statements...

Bought from new and I have never changed it, and the missus certainly wouldn't have. It did have a rubber cable entry on the plug which has been transferred to the new plug. It was just an insert to reduce chafing.[/QUOTE]

...One of my least successful defense statements...

Haha! As I wrote that earlier I did think there has gotta be a better way to word it!

:tounge_smile:

Reply to Dodgy 1363 plug. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock