Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

4 x high frequency electronic ballasts ? Interestingly it's a plastic enclosure and didn't catch fire though ?;)

Ignitors. Thankfully the breaker stopped it getting that far although the repeated switching back on by clueless foreman didn't help matters!

Interestingly the other 3 were still working!

It's all original wiring under capping, the other wall lights were the same but with different angles & bends. It actually would have been harder work to wire like this compared to going straight down the wall!

Found during pat testing today, plug was incredibly hot. Connected to extension lead with 4KW worth of heaters on the other end. If the plug was made of that soft plastic it would have been destroyed by the heat.
plyg.jpg

What with the damage and discolouration of the earth pin @freddo ? Looks like some tiny splatters of metal in the casing, has it been arcing for some reason?

It's from a short circuit, you can see the chain of events by seeing the overheated cable which has chared the lid of the plug, it's this charring that created a carbon conductive track between the live fuse holder and earth pin hence you see the damage to the earth... (note the black carbon track on the lid) my dearWatson. ;)

The RCD wasn't tripping, but the earth pin was really hot, too hot to touch. I think the mark is actually green Hammerite paint, which was all over the place (I got covered in it!). The plug isn't the original one, and must have been replaced recently.

If the earth pin was hot then I hope you have checked and tested everything associated with it, it sound like it is wired incorrectly or the socket it was plugged into was, I would also do a test of the circuit and rcd as a matter of priority, the earth pin shows signs of arcing or short circuit damage and it does mirror the black stain on the plug top, so whatever it is I would suggest it was conductive.

I do believe there is a wire stuffed between the fuse and the clip at the terminal end, and unless I'm much mistaken, the fuse cap has come off. Is it possible they've 'upgraded' the fuse and in doing so had a little bit of stray wire which has touched the earth pin???

I love these pictures :)

The damage to the earth pin shows sustained arcing, you can see all the pitting and bobbling like someone has had a mini welder on it, this would suggest it was tracking and not a one off short, hence I suggested that the circuit is checked out because this should have tripped any working rcd.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock