Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Whoever installed these at different heights needs a smack. In this same room the low level points were are 5 different heights.
Echo no.jpg
Same property, located during periodic. Must have been like it for years, the property has been tested every five years, there were so many faults we ended up doing a full rewire.
Echo cook.jpg
Saw the dining room light was wired as a 2 way but couldn't find the second switch, during rewiring was able to pull the cable up out of the stud wall to find the second switch:
Echo switch.jpg

20170515_102706.jpg 20170515_102549.jpg
Supposed to be changing some fittings and installing an outdoor lighting circuit. But I came across this gem of an install today.
32A mcb taken straight off the main switch. No rcd protection. (Rest of circuits RCD protected)
Then a what looks like a 6mm Earth taped up as BLUE (jesus christ) and terminated into load side of mcb. This loops round into the pictured connector. Which has the kitchen ringmain, 1st and 2nd floor lighting circuits coupled all in together.

I found A LOT more 'fun' things aswell.

Customer assured me he moved in a year ago and all paperwork was up to scratch. Yet to see any...

Then a what looks like a 6mm Earth taped up as BLUE (jesus christ) and terminated into load side of mcb. This loops round into the pictured connector. Which has the kitchen ringmain, 1st and 2nd floor lighting circuits coupled all in together.

So not only did they run out of brown single or twin and earth, they also ran out of brown sleeve! Still at least we knew what they meant!(even if they didn't)!!!

So not only did they run out of brown single or twin and earth, they also ran out of brown sleeve! Still at least we knew what they meant!(even if they didn't)!!!

Not just that. I don't understand the mentality. There was not a space issue. One side of the board was virtually empty. Loads of spare ways!
My first thought was it was done by a DIY or chancer, trying to solve a neutral-earth fault. But it wasn't. God knows....

Oh sorry for the double post, but this thread has reminded me of my best find this year so far. About two months ago, doing some remedial work on a HMO.

7.5Kw Shower in fed in 6mm. But nothing at the board. Switch off the the ring main. Oh and look what switched off with it.

Back to back to the shower was this little delight....
Screenshot_20170516-194345.png

I stil have no idea how they managed to fit a 6mm and 2x 2.5mms into those terminals.

The run of 6mm must of only been a metre and a half. The students there said they'd never had any problems whatsoever.

That's just typical of a lot of student lets. As long as they get rent, the landlords don't give a damn what's done.
Look that one even comes with free Black mould ;):).

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock