Discuss Does a sunbed require RCD? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
I've been asked to install a power supply for a sun bed in a salon:
Sunbed is 60 x 225w lamps = 13.5K
Divide 230v = 59amps
Table 4D2A:
10mm T&E 63amp capacity clipped direct.
I'm installing a dedicated CU with a 63a MCB and isolator fed via a henley block on the meter tails for the sunbed to avoid the basement studio being plunged into darkness!
So far so good.
I haven't got paperwork for the sunbed but I understand that the ballasts typically have an earth leakage current of 75ma which increases over time. So 30ma RCDs can't be used. 100ma are not recommended for shock protection.

Am I required to protect this circuit with an RCD?

Thanks
Steve

IMO, an RCD is not required as long as the cable is not buried in a wall <50mm deep. however, i'd be measuring Ze and calculating Zs and PEFC to ensure that the cpc in 10mm T/E was adequate.

Thanks for the quick responses, much appreciated.
The manufacturer, Sunquest's (Aurora) website has very basic information unfortunately.
Client bought the most powerful model before taking advice on the power requirements of course. Luckily only a 3 metre run to the board.
2 guys coming down from Leicester crack of sparrow f**t to install expecting everything to be ready...
Regards
Steve

All installed now.
Blokes who installed it both had tanning parlours in Leicester. They reckoned just a couple of vents needed. No fan. Cabinets are used 6 mins at a time.
See how it goes, not the easiest place to install a ventilation duct.
Cheers Steve

Reply to Does a sunbed require RCD? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net