Discuss Does the fan isolator in a bathroom have to be on the outside wall? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

atm-12

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I am apprentice electrician about 1 year and a half into my course. I have been asked to install a fan in a bathroom which I am quite capable of doing, I just need to know if I can put the isolator inside.

I have been asked to do it in trunking, so I was going to trunk from the pull switch to the fan via the light fitting depending how its been wired. I'm guessing it is against regulations to isolate inside, but it would be easier if I can.

Thanks.

Hi atm-12

i believe that if the fan isolator is on a pull cord it can be located within the bathroom but if it were a switch it would have to be outside of the room. Hope this helps

Remember it will come under part P......you will need to register it to comply with the law......although I doubt you will be hung,drawn and quartered if you dont.

I will always put the isolator in. Never seen anything about not fitting one when theres a window.

In the room outside of zone 2 or usually above the door outside, as most jobs i get are having the bathroom walls redone so its easy to install it there

Worked in a bathroom last week and the window was about 9 inches by about 36 inches, new build so right up against the next house. Even on the sunniest of days there wouldn't be enought light coming in throught that size of window. Didn't have an isolator in until I put one in.

so, to sum up. if there's a window , not letting in enough light to see the fan, you don;t need an isolator. if the client has cfl lighting , you need an isolator, even though you still can;t see it with the lights on. all boils down to the good old torch. think we all know how to use one

i always fit isolator. better overkill tan fall foul of the LABC jobsworth part peee gestapo

you need a fan ,window or not, its building regs not electric regs.isolator is because all motors need local form of isolation and a fan is a motor.switch can be in bathroom outside zone 2 if rcd protected or a pull switch.if room has no window then fan must be timer model with 15 mins run on.

you need a fan ,window or not, its building regs not electric regs.isolator is because all motors need local form of isolation and a fan is a motor.switch can be in bathroom outside zone 2 if rcd protected or a pull switch.if room has no window then fan must be timer model with 15 mins run on.

Spot on. Local isolation for maintenance work. What about the perminent live for the timer? Has to be a 3-pole isolator (if the fan indeed has a perm live and switched live).

Shower unit, cooker outlets etc...local isolation for maintenance purposes.

Torch how old fashioned was working in a place the other day and an alarm company were in the false ceiling using bloody iphones as lights now thats an app NUTTERS
so, to sum up. if there's a window , not letting in enough light to see the fan, you don;t need an isolator. if the client has cfl lighting , you need an isolator, even though you still can;t see it with the lights on. all boils down to the good old torch. think we all know how to use one

If replacing old fans like for like in a dwelling, would you need to add fan isolators if they are not there already?

no. a like for like replacement does not have to have circuits upgraded to latest regs, e.g. RCD protection provided. if you fitted an isolator, you'd have to provide RCD protection to the circuit if not already there.

Thanks for that, that's what I thought, someone wants a couple replaced and I'm sat here with BS7671 and building regs book trying to decipher it, cheers

Reply to Does the fan isolator in a bathroom have to be on the outside wall? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock