Discuss Domestic Cable Quality in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

farad

Hi,

I'm just about to start a full re-wire of my house and looking for some decent T&E cable. Is the Turkish Altin brand, sold at Wickes, as good as any other BASEC approved cable?

Thanks

Use the points to buy frilly stuff that your wife will like and go to the wholesalers with ££ you'll save a lot of money that way

Hi,

I'm just about to start a full re-wire of my house and looking for some decent T&E cable. Is the Turkish Altin brand, sold at Wickes, as good as any other BASEC approved cable?

Thanks

if your not an electrician you shouldnt be attempting this.

It's part of the BASEC requiirements that the cable has good "stripability". For this it needs the right amount of chalk betwen the insulation and sheath. I've had trouble in this respect with a number of cable makes, especially Doncaster and some make starting with H (Haani??)

I now only buy Draka or Prysmiun. Both made in UK and haven't had any problems.

It's a proper nightmare when the sheath is too stiff and there's not enough chalk.

Hi,

Thanks

Are you a part P registered electrician? If not, you will still need to be competent and get your local Building control involved.

Without meaning to slander the entire Turkish manufacturing industry, when I lived in Turkey we called any poor quality (or in fact 'any') Turkish-made product "Türk çöp" (pronounced 'chirp') which translates as 'Turkish rubbish'.

Without meaning to slander the entire Turkish manufacturing industry, when I lived in Turkey we called any poor quality (or in fact 'any') Turkish-made product "Türk çöp" (pronounced 'chirp') which translates as 'Turkish rubbish'.

Was there not a fine chocalate called "Turkish delight" sold out there :sifone:

Our local wholesaler tried selling that Turkish brand for a while. The 2.5 wasn't bad but the 1.5 was really bad, so bad infact they took it all back and never sold it again!!!

Was there not a fine chocalate called "Turkish delight" sold out there :sifone:
Actually the 'Turkish delight' or ('Lokum') sold out there is covered in dessicated coconut or confectioner's sugar, but never chocolate.
That chocolate-coated bar of soap they call 'Fry's Turkish Delight' we get over here is about as different to genuine 'Lokum' as you can get.

I've had some px cable, basec approved apparently.
Wired an extension, cam to IR tests and got 70Mohms.
Turns out its just the cable.
New drums I've had since have been the same, tested before unpacked.
And it's a nightmare to strip.
Stay away from this stuff.

Reply to Domestic Cable Quality in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net