Discuss Domestic CCTV system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

atm84

-
Reaction score
I can't access the CCTV forum on here.

I've just bought a new house and wanting to add some security to it. Can anyone recommend a decent alarm system and CCTV system?

Would like to be able to access the cameras via the Internet and iPhone.

Looking for 3 camera's max and ability to record continuous for 14 days.

I'm not sure why, but I reckon Tel is the man to ask. I'm sure he's fitted a good few...

Do you want to access the stored footage over the internet or do you need all the cameras to be ip addressable so you can view the live feeds from each?

I've just fitted a swann system. Cameras are 650tvl which give good pictures at day and night. Small compact dave unit, Works on my iPhone to view remotely if needed. Try to watch for systems with 420tvl cameras the quality is much lower. Ade alarm systems and veritus are decent panels, fitted loads over the years. Most people fitting wire free

try here for CCTV,,,,,,,,,MIE CCTV Limited ...and here for alarms,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, risco.co.uk

Last edited:
Hi Marvo thanks for the reply. What would you recommend? I would ideally like to be able to access the stored footage over the Internet. I was thinking worst case scenario: someone breaks into the house and then steals the camera hard drive etc and then I wouldn't have any footage.

Installed a 4 channel Swann system on our house only a couple of week back. It's all set up to remote view on the phone. Covers all the exterior of the house.

Live in Suffolk, a nice area but you never know. There has been a few attempted break in's lately. Don't like the idea of someone snooping around so hoping the camera's will be a good deterrent.

Hi Marvo thanks for the reply. What would you recommend? I would ideally like to be able to access the stored footage over the Internet. I was thinking worst case scenario: someone breaks into the house and then steals the camera hard drive etc and then I wouldn't have any footage.

Live got a solid brick room in the middle of the house, then lined with 18mm marine ply for good measure, solid wood door, two 5 lever Yale locks and a 1200lb magnetic door lock. In the room is the CCTV recorder, house alarm, Internet router etc and phone line. A hefty ups supply for the CCTV and router, and battery backup on the mag lock. This way if someone broke in and killed the power I'd still be able to record and remotely login to see what was going on, plus the alarm would have notified me too. Oh and no handle on the door and reinforced edge.

In the room I keep all my tools as I don't keep them in the van.

Ive got 8 650tvl cameras with extra ir flood lights, three of which point at my van, oh and I use smart water.

Hopefully nobody will ever break in, but if they do it will or should be significantly more difficult to steal my tools or CCTV recorder.

Paranoid, well maybe a little. Oh and the mag lock doesn't have a key pad, it's got RFID entry and you need to put the fob in a certain place to release it as the reader is built into the wall. I thought having a keypad on show, someone could rip it off the wall and possibly open the lock.

Oh plus there's heavy duty hinges and 4 dead bolts in the hinge edge.

Live got a solid brick room in the middle of the house, then lined with 18mm marine ply for good measure, solid wood door, two 5 lever Yale locks and a 1200lb magnetic door lock. In the room is the CCTV recorder, house alarm, Internet router etc and phone line. A hefty ups supply for the CCTV and router, and battery backup on the mag lock. This way if someone broke in and killed the power I'd still be able to record and remotely login to see what was going on, plus the alarm would have notified me too. Oh and no handle on the door and reinforced edge.

In the room I keep all my tools as I don't keep them in the van.

Ive got 8 650tvl cameras with extra ir flood lights, three of which point at my van, oh and I use smart water.

Hopefully nobody will ever break in, but if they do it will or should be significantly more difficult to steal my tools or CCTV recorder.

Paranoid, well maybe a little. Oh and the mag lock doesn't have a key pad, it's got RFID entry and you need to put the fob in a certain place to release it as the reader is built into the wall. I thought having a keypad on show, someone could rip it off the wall and possibly open the lock.

Oh plus there's heavy duty hinges and 4 dead bolts in the hinge edge.

you serious?!

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but I installed a wireless HD Foscam unit last year. It needs a local power supply or you can use POE if you wish.

There are a few apps that allow remote access, you just need to forward/open the relevant port.

you serious?!

Yes totally, I have at least £10k of tools in that cupboard and equipment to incriminate people. I would rather make life difficult for a thief than loose all my kit, I know its insured, but its not the point!

Over the top, probably yes, but when I go on holiday I feel better.

Reply to Domestic CCTV system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock