Discuss Domestic CUs have built in wiring of 16mm2 but... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Eddiesparks

...what if you had a 100a cutout?!

So for e.g your tails (consumer and dist.) are both 25mm2 and you have a cutout fuse that is 100a - technically the cutout fuse is the only thing protecting from itself to the bottom of your mcbs. Most consumer units have the "built in" cables that are 16mm2 (from bottom of main switch to top of RCDs) - The CCC of these cables is 85/87ish amps so isnt that a problem?!

I'm curious!

Thanks

Ed

So for e.g your tails (consumer and dist.) are both 25mm2 and you have a cutout fuse that is 100a - technically the cutout fuse is the only thing protecting from itself to the bottom of your mcbs. Most consumer units have the "built in" cables that are 16mm2 (from bottom of main switch to top of RCDs) - The CCC of these cables is 85/87ish amps so isnt that a problem?!

I'm curious!

Thanks

Ed

And the question is?

the CU tails are tri-rated and will withstand higher currents than the same csa of 7 strand, notwithstanding that they may have a higher max. temperature, which should be limited to the temp. rating of the main switch/RCD/s etc.

I'm curious!

Thanks

Ed
oh man!!
lol...lol...
what happens to current in parallel circuits eh eddie?

Your forgetting that their are normally doubled up sets, one set to each of the RCD units thus the load is shared down 2 sets of 16mm... as above the cable is tri-rated and unless you know the manufacturer then you cant gage its rating which well come down to 3 factors
-Core arrangement
-Size
-insulation

As above any wholesalers will supply it but its use may have restrictions like panel wiring etc as its insulation has differing properties...

have used tri-rated for meter tails in the past (coz. it was free from where i worked). bear in mind you need to fit crimps to the ends.

I'm curious!

Thanks

Ed

I wouldn't worry your head about it, not just because of the internal configuration of dual RCD CU's, but the fact you'll probably never see 100A being drawn through a typical domestic/commercial CU. ...I know that i never have, and not even close either!! lol!!

Reply to Domestic CUs have built in wiring of 16mm2 but... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net