Discuss Domestic Electrical Issue - Live Volts in House but Not Getting Shocks. Any Help Appreciated in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Cheers for the replies.

Vortigern, they did isolate the circuits individually and it is running through all four which is why they said investigative work testing sockets, connections etc one by one is their recommended way to try to find the issue in the first instance. The electrics are still on.

Telectrix thanks for the offer, we have already booked in the electrician to come out initially to try to source the problem and if they can't do this after a day's work I'll pm you.

Will keep you updated.

What the chaps are saying, from watching your videos, the equipment shown being used, is not proper test equipment, more like toys. If the 'electrician' is using them to fault find, he/she won't find the fault, if one actually exists. :)

Might not have made it clear in my earlier posts, the video's were taken by the plumber initially who said we needed it looked at before they could do a service on the boiler.

The electrician who has diagnosed that it's 75v, on all circuits etc. was using proper diagnostic equipment, much more advanced than what is in the videos.

I bet there's a damaged cable on one circuit only probably creating a very low resistance to the circuit CPC , the circuits need proper disconnection at the consumer unit to narrow the problem down and locate.

Read the thread and seen that video:D I was disappointed that it did not show the investigator with a divining rod

To the op,be aware

There is no restriction on the term " Electrician",it can be considered and used by anyone,even a plumber ;)

Well if it is running through four circuits then it must be where cables are bunched together. Just thinking aloud really, just ignore me. Still would be scared to have a shower though.

sounds very much like a problem i got called out to once on a tns system, all they said at the time was if they touched the sink or rads without anything on their feet they were getting a shock but if they had their shoes on they was ok, so that's what they had been doing for 2 months, went to check it out, voltage present at sink and rads, same again no rcds tripping, problem was out in the street at the joint coming into the house, joint had blown sending voltage up through the old lead sheaf, electricity north west was out within 20 mins, and took them 2 days to sort it out after a lot of digging, just mention it to your electrician so he can check, will only take him 2 mins before he starts ripping your house apart

QUOTE [What the chaps are saying, from watching your videos, the equipment shown being used, is not proper test equipment, more like toys. If the 'electrician' is using them to fault find, he/she won't find the fault, if one actually exists.] END QUOTE.

Not quite -
Most electricians would not work on an instalation based solely on what a non contact tester yells them,
They are known to give eronious results sometimes.
so they would back it up with further more reliable testing.
In you op you said that the traddie claimed there is power running thru your earth system,
therefore it is dangerous, and he based this presumibly on a non contact test ?
The fact is most if not all earhing systems will have small currents bleeding thru them,
That does not always mean they are dangerous.
the best way to determine if its safe to work on is put a decent load on it,
such as a test lamp, if the voltage suddenly dissappears ?
then it is a ghost voltage.
probably what you got on your system.

sounds very much like a problem i got called out to once on a tns system, all they said at the time was if they touched the sink or rads without anything on their feet they were getting a shock but if they had their shoes on they was ok, so that's what they had been doing for 2 months, went to check it out, voltage present at sink and rads, same again no rcds tripping, problem was out in the street at the joint coming into the house, joint had blown sending voltage up through the old lead sheaf, electricity north west was out within 20 mins, and took them 2 days to sort it out after a lot of digging, just mention it to your electrician so he can check, will only take him 2 mins before he starts ripping your house apart

Seen a couple of broken neutral connections in joint boxes under the pavement. One was at my house. Caused the earth to rise to a sufficient level to give shocks when metal switches were touched. Mind you, they were quick out to fix it!

I do hate it when people call them plug sockets. They are either plugs or sockets but never both.

I had a customer getting a slight 'shock' off a brass light switch, my MFT measured 75v ac from the CPC to the radiator below. It wasn't a constant ac tingle, more like a static electric zap or a capacitor discharging. Powered it down, checked R2 with a wander lead back to MET, no continuity. Tracked back along the ceiling roses and found the CPCs not joined where someone DIY had chucked up a nice B&Q chandelier. Restored the CPC, meggered the circuit to make sure no damage/leakage, and powered up again - 75v ac gone, no tingle any more. As the insulation resistance was all fine, I can only assume that the stray voltage was induced from phase to CPC? And since the CPC was broken, it had nowhere to go it stored it like a weak capacitor?

Any thoughts on this?

Could this be what the OP is experiencing, but for the whole property? (I.e. There is not a solid earth connected to the property?)

Appreciate all the replies and help with this and apologies for the delay my side, had to work out of the country on short notice for the last few weeks so have only been around briefly on weekends. Cancelled the electrician who was coming out due to the above so Telectrix I will pm you now about it.

Cheers all

update on this:

R.Yates sent me a pm asking me to sort it for him. I called yesterday and initial tests showed 241V L-N and 148V L-E. no reading for Ze. as suspected, it was an earth fault. wander lead out and proved continuity of MEC from meter E block to CU (PME system, house built c.2000). fault was the N-E link inside the cut-out was not tight. 1/2 -3/4 turn on each screw resolved problem, Ze 0.15, Zs @ random socket 0.55. done and dusted in an hour and a half.

Reply to Domestic Electrical Issue - Live Volts in House but Not Getting Shocks. Any Help Appreciated in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock