Discuss Domestic Installer in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have my flak jacket, Kevlar hat on so fire away, as most of you old timers are aware, I'm an old timer also, maybe it's my age, but I'm confused.com.
The confusion arises over the title of this post, and probably I ought to know the answer, but would be grateful if someone could clear up my conundrum? I hear folks say"there is no such thing as a domestic Installer" "your either an Electrician or you aren't" so please put me at ease, is there such a being as a Domestic Installer? I think not but please clarify. Sorry for the politeness of my post, it's my working for the government that does it.:mickey::elvis::seeya::grinningelf:

As I understand it there is a classification within the NICEIC as a domestic installer,I think it's to do with the Electrical Trainee,however most properly trained electricians would agree that in reality there's no such thing as a DI you're either a spark or you aint.

domestic installer is a term invented by part p scheme operators to describe those whom conduct electrical work mainly in a domestic setting.
so yes , it exists , regardless of opinions as to its worthiness.

domestic installer is a term invented by part p scheme operators to describe those whom conduct electrical work mainly in a domestic setting.
so yes , it exists , regardless of opinions as to its worthiness.

So because the Scam's (NICEIC) dream up a title for wannabe electricians it's to be accepted is it?

Not on your Nelly!! There is no such animal, only in in the money making minds of those that want to bring this industry down to suit their own benefit!!

Domestic Installers are a kind of 'dumbed down' electrician - they work to standard circuit arrangements so don't need to know about any of the difficult bits like cable calcs, phasor diagrams, phase balancing etc.
It's 'electrics by numbers' - lights sockets, cookers, showers and maybe an immersion heater.

Domestic Installers are a kind of 'dumbed down' electrician - they work to standard circuit arrangements so don't need to know about any of the difficult bits like cable calcs, phasor diagrams, phase balancing etc.
It's 'electrics by numbers' - lights sockets, cookers, showers and maybe an immersion heater.
yes but what do they do when they get a fault on something and don't have a clue about faultfinding? lol

yes but what do they do when they get a fault on something and don't have a clue about faultfinding? lol
They either don't do fault finding, rip out the bit of the circuit which is causing the problem and rewire it, come on here asking how to do it, or get in the van and drive off and not answer the phone if the customer calls back.

Thanks for all your replies, I'm sure there will be many more once everyone gets home fro a hard day.

Even that's an insult to a qualified electrician.....

These people are little more than DIYers, that are fooling householders/general public with the blessing of the scam providers, ...that are laughing all the way to the bank!!

seems alot of hostility towards a couple of words.
It's not the name, it's what the name represents. It's a bit like calling someone a 'cowboy' only more quantifiable - if the likes of 'Matt Alright BBC Rogue Traders' jump out on a 'cowboy' and shove a camera in their face they run away because they know they're guilty, but a domestic installer probably thinks they're doing a good job because they've been accredited by some national body who took their money and went through the motions of doing an assessment.
It's easy to have a go at someone for not holding the right card or be the member of an organisation, but harder to go through the regs and argue that the work someone has done doesn't comply - the 'cowboy' knows he's not registered with a competent persons' scheme whereas the 'Domestic Installer' thinks the 2 grand he forked out for the day of 2393 makes him Part P and eligible to work on people's homes.

I have my flak jacket, Kevlar hat on so fire away, as most of you old timers are aware, I'm an old timer also, maybe it's my age, but I'm confused.com.
The confusion arises over the title of this post, and probably I ought to know the answer, but would be grateful if someone could clear up my conundrum? I hear folks say"there is no such thing as a domestic Installer" "your either an Electrician or you aren't" so please put me at ease, is there such a being as a Domestic Installer? I think not but please clarify. Sorry for the politeness of my post, it's my working for the government that does it.:mickey::elvis::seeya::grinningelf:

Working for the government and unsure where you stand on the issue.......now there's an unusual one.

Working for the government and unsure where you stand on the issue.......now there's an unusual one.

I.m sure where I stand, I work for the HMG as an Electrical Technician, did my time contracting for Electrical Contractors, 6 YEARS IT TOOK ME not 5weeks, you understand where I'm coming from, you are either an Electrician or you aint

I.m sure where I stand, I work for the HMG as an Electrical Technician, did my time contracting for Electrical Contractors, 6 YEARS IT TOOK ME not 5weeks, you understand where I'm coming from, you are either an Electrician or you aint
Yes quite right same here, 6 and a half years before the firm I worked for allowed any sparks to work alone without supervision, it is just the way it was back then, 4 and a half at tech and on site practical training then 2 years to get approved qualification which meant working alone allowed without any supervision, the 5 weeks today is for domestic only, the trade has been broken up by the NICEIC, but what scares the crap out of me is what if these 5 week short course guys get other ideas and apply to agencies to work in shops, schools factories etc?

Yes quite right same here, 6 and a half years before the firm I worked for allowed any sparks to work alone without supervision, it is just the way it was back then, 4 and a half at tech and on site practical training then 2 years to get approved qualification which meant working alone allowed without any supervision, the 5 weeks today is for domestic only, the trade has been broken up by the NICEIC, but what scares the crap out of me is what if these 5 week short course guys get other ideas and apply to agencies to work in shops, schools factories etc?

Don't mate it's scary enough as it is

Don't mate it's scary enough as it is
Yes I know, A while back I suggested to be serious a card for short term course guys which would enable them to be qualified to work in the domestic enviroment only and also if they could show 5 jobs during a 12 month period which was actually looked at very closely and if it passed then they could become an electrician. I felt this would be a compromise and stop them working on non domestic jobs until they have had on site experience under supervision. It went down like a lead balloon.

It's not the name, it's what the name represents. It's a bit like calling someone a 'cowboy' only more quantifiable - if the likes of 'Matt Alright BBC Rogue Traders' jump out on a 'cowboy' and shove a camera in their face they run away because they know they're guilty, but a domestic installer probably thinks they're doing a good job because they've been accredited by some national body who took their money and went through the motions of doing an assessment.
It's easy to have a go at someone for not holding the right card or be the member of an organisation, but harder to go through the regs and argue that the work someone has done doesn't comply - the 'cowboy' knows he's not registered with a competent persons' scheme whereas the 'Domestic Installer' thinks the 2 grand he forked out for the day of 2393 makes him Part P and eligible to work on people's homes.
Because that's what they get told Adam, it's all a big con and I feel a bit sorry for those that have fallen into the trap. They soon realise that they're not up to scratch when get out there working, there are exceptions of course, it's unfair to brand everyone of them unsafe or incompetant

It went down like a lead balloon.

Asking turkeys to vote for Christmas I fear. Even though the point is that Christmas is already here on this one, and you're just asking the turkeys to vote for a better implementation of Christmas.

Reply to Domestic Installer in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock