Discuss domestic new build first fixing in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm going to wire a completely new build house soon and I've been out of game for many years.The house has those Z joist which have timber top and bottom and hollow between, using metal Z frames for strength.
My question is for those of you that come across this a lot is, When installing cables parallel to the joist, best method of fixing cables?
If clipped at top of joist, too high really, possibly get hit with floorboard screws,nails. If clipped bottom of joist, possibly get hit with plaster board screws, nails.
I'm thinking of using possibly cables ties. Any thoughts or opinions?

I just normally cable tie, although on some designs of the beams there's enough clipping space underneath the top wood before the spars (cable ties are quicker, btw!).

cable ties to metal bracing, IMO. keep cables > 50mm from floor and ceiling.

- - - Updated - - -

bloody crap. fall off in 2 days.

Thanks, by using cable ties to metal bracing, is that what most electricians use nowadays? I'm under the impression that thermal insulation will be used behind the ceilings/under the bedrooms floors, so degrading the cables will apply.

Reply to domestic new build first fixing in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

hello, i am just about to completely rewire a refurbished house. i have done the same to several houses in the distant past. i have just read...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Have a relatively simple question. Doing a rewire to make a circuit in a single room. My father is a retired spark, so no worries about a...
Replies
Views
Most of the work I do is additions and alterations in domestic properties, and other than swapping accessories and lights in new-builds for...
Replies
Views
So, I already have solar (an older FITS installation) and it's been particularly successful so I want to extend this. I'd like to do two things at...
Replies
Views
I'm building a "media wall" type structure, to house TV, av equipment etc, with alcoves each side lit by Led downlights and I'll be extending my...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock