Discuss Domestic Sprinkler System Help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nlbhoy

I've recently 1st and 2nd fixed two new build small houses, the job is due to be signed off
on Wednesday.

There's sprinkler systems fitted in both properties, I've fitted Aico detectors throughout, and
had asked the contractor (who's a friend) what was needed for the sprinkler system, I was told
just to provide a supply, as the DB is right next to the flow switch this could be done easily.

After speaking to the sprinkler guy I've been told I should have interlinked them with the
smoke detectors which makes sense. But, Like I says I was told all I needed to do was provide
a supply.

What are my options here?

Does the sprinkler need to be interlinked with the detectors? it's a very small property, can
the sprinklers have it's own sounder? it's a bit late now to start making holes in finished ceiling
to run new cables etc.

I can't find much info regarding regs for domestic sprinklers, any help/guidance would be
appreciated.

Here's the info from Aico. You fit the switch module under the smoke detector base, or near by. The sprinkler don't go off when the smoke detectors sound, it's the other way round, the alarms will sound when the sprinkler goes off.

Ei129 Hard Wired Switched Input Module
This module triggers the alarms in a system if an external device is activated, such as a sprinkler system.

If you are installing a water mist system, as building control would never request sprinkler system in a house....the mist control unit has 2 detection inputs zone 1 & zone 2. Both heat detectors (not smokes) must activate to release the water mist.
So both heats are activated to trigger the system? Would this be a compressed air system.

just done sprinkler system for new builds, system being commissioned by others but some tight requirements.
1st they required their own board was not happy being on the non RCD side on high integrity board.
2nd from consumer unit to the sprinkler system required FP200 fire alarm cable for power.
3rd Aico smoke alarms wired as normal but with a relay card (input type) on one of the alarms so when interconnected it sends signal.
so we had to install second board just for sprinkler system.
4th we did not know at the time but water pressure for the houses & flats did not have enough pressure so a pump was required also.

Last edited:
just to mention Aico have two types of relay (they may do more) input & output bases the one we required was the input card, lucky my wholesaler had 3 in stock at another branch I had to go pick them up as I had bought the input ones not realising what relay was required.
I do however now have I think on email still instructions for equipment required if you need them I will try & find them.
Ei408

If you are installing a water mist system, as building control would never request sprinkler system in a house....the mist control unit has 2 detection inputs zone 1 & zone 2. Both heat detectors (not smokes) must activate to release the water mist.
Sprinklers m8ty, think we had 4 floors

just to mention Aico have two types of relay (they may do more) input & output bases the one we required was the input card, lucky my wholesaler had 3 in stock at another branch I had to go pick them up as I had bought the input ones not realising what relay was required.
I do however now have I think on email still instructions for equipment required if you need them I will try & find them.
Ei408
Thanks, that would be great.

The sprinkler guy gave me the spec sheet for Ei 129 hard wired switched input module. So I presume that's whats needed.

I think with Aico they do wireless so if you have only done twin & E to 1st detector then 3 core & E between you should be able to fit a wireless bass at 1st detector to wireless relay base.

not sure on that one drawing definitely shows a hard wire connection from relay through to the sprinkler head, I would not go down the route of wireless unless you clarify that with the guys/ girls who are installing & commissioning the sprinkler system might bite you in the a...

not sure on that one drawing definitely shows a hard wire connection from relay through to the sprinkler head, I would not go down the route of wireless unless you clarify that with the guys/ girls who are installing & commissioning the sprinkler system might bite you in the a...
It was just that in the O.P. states does not want to start making holes in finished houses, it is the sprinkler that sets off smoke alarm sounders and I thought that it was allowed to wire smoke alarms interlink wireless if not Aico would not manufacture them.

It was just that in the O.P. states does not want to start making holes in finished houses, it is the sprinkler that sets off smoke alarm sounders and I thought that it was allowed to wire smoke alarms interlink wireless if not Aico would not manufacture them.
I would take that on advice straight from the people who are going to commission the system before they get there, if anything like ours they are nationwide & travelled along way to commission if not ready you will be charged for a revisit.

Reply to Domestic Sprinkler System Help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net