1. We've split off Commercial Electrician Talk and Industrial Electrician Talk from the main Electrical Forum. Please take note when you're looking for and posting new threads. :) 

Checkout the new Electricians Directory which you can add your business details to for free.

We've also teamed up with an insurance firm to offer you guys some discounted insurance. These guys will customise your insurance to fit your needs perfectly. Enquire using the following pages: VAN - FLEET - PROFESSIONAL INDEMNITY - OTHER TYPES OF INSURANCE.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Checkout the new British Forums, register for free and enter the competition to win a £25 Amazon Voucher!

Dismiss Notice

Domestic Supply ?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum' started by Abruno, Jan 11, 2017.

Discuss Domestic Supply ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.co.uk.

1. Abruno

Abruno Active EF Member

Hi all, Any ideas why there are 4 x 60 amp fuses on the DNO'S supply intake in a domestic house? Any one came across this set up? Its a TN-S Supply. Picture below cheers.

20170111_122617_resized.jpg

2. Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Maybe the N is a solid link

4. Abruno

Abruno Active EF Member

Neutral has its own separate Terminal to the right of the four fuses?

5. westward10

westward10 Electrician's Arms

Top Poster Of Month

The cable doesn't look big enough to be three phase, could have originally supplied four single phase, or that's all they had on the van 50 odd years ago.

Andy78 likes this.
  6. Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  7. 7029 dave

7029 dave Trusted Advisor

IMO that could be 3 phase, but hey only 1phase tapped off, why do you ask.?

8. sparksburnout

sparksburnout Electrician's Arms

It is a bit odd. I have a 3P supply into my place, cable looks identical to be honest. Would the DNO supply 4 SP supplies with the common neutral block? Dunno, I would give them a ring, they are really good round here (WPD), I have the local teams number and they are only too happy to come out and have a look. They might even make you a nice bacon butty in their custom built kitchen/van. They have a nasty habit of leaving seals lying about as well.....

DPG likes this.
  9. gutterball

gutterball Electrician's Arms

Quite common around here. loop feed 1 supply to 4 adjoining houses. our old house was a semi with the loop to next door on our service head.

10. Lucien Nunes

Lucien Nunes Mercury Arc Rectifier Trusted Advisor

Cable could easily be 4c and yes looks like a relic of looped services. Probably too old to have been put in for electric wet CH, although if someone did request a TP+N supply for some reason (I've seen it in a house that was used for some kind of war work) the pup fuse might have been a looped service or to take the existing SP+N supply on a separate meter. Not ideal that the present supply is off the pup, IIRC UKPN limits them to 60A although that tends to assume there's also a service running on the parent. New S7 pups are limited to 30A max partnered with 60A.

11. polo1

polo1 Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    GW Electrical & Security
    "Pup fuse" - can you explain L? Haven't heard the expression before. Cheers.

DPG likes this.
  12. gutterball

13. sparksburnout

sparksburnout Electrician's Arms

Yes I am a bit confused as well Lucian, how it it looped if the fuses are not terminated? Or are they just using the I/C side of them to daisy chain the next one?

14. westward10

westward10 Electrician's Arms

Top Poster Of Month

I assume the "pup" fuse is the left one as it seems to be an add on.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  15. 7029 dave

7029 dave Trusted Advisor

Yes, that's how I see it and have seen it, the DNO just leap off the phase to add one more.And it's always L1

16. gutterball

loop supplysmall.jpg

Rpa07 likes this.
  17. Advertisement

to hide this advert.