Domestic Supply ?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum' started by Abruno, Jan 11, 2017.

Discuss Domestic Supply ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Abruno

Abruno Active EF Member

2. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Maybe the N is a solid link

3. Abruno

Abruno Active EF Member

Neutral has its own separate Terminal to the right of the four fuses?

4. westward10

westward10 Sponsored by failure. Electrician's Arms

The cable doesn't look big enough to be three phase, could have originally supplied four single phase, or that's all they had on the van 50 odd years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 7029 dave

7029 dave Trusted Advisor

IMO that could be 3 phase, but hey only 1phase tapped off, why do you ask.?

6. sparksburnout

sparksburnout Electrician's Arms

It is a bit odd. I have a 3P supply into my place, cable looks identical to be honest. Would the DNO supply 4 SP supplies with the common neutral block? Dunno, I would give them a ring, they are really good round here (WPD), I have the local teams number and they are only too happy to come out and have a look. They might even make you a nice bacon butty in their custom built kitchen/van. They have a nasty habit of leaving seals lying about as well.....

• Like Like x 1
  7. gutterball

gutterball Electrician's Arms

Quite common around here. loop feed 1 supply to 4 adjoining houses. our old house was a semi with the loop to next door on our service head.

8. Lucien Nunes

Lucien Nunes Mercury Arc Rectifier Trusted Advisor

Cable could easily be 4c and yes looks like a relic of looped services. Probably too old to have been put in for electric wet CH, although if someone did request a TP+N supply for some reason (I've seen it in a house that was used for some kind of war work) the pup fuse might have been a looped service or to take the existing SP+N supply on a separate meter. Not ideal that the present supply is off the pup, IIRC UKPN limits them to 60A although that tends to assume there's also a service running on the parent. New S7 pups are limited to 30A max partnered with 60A.

9. polo1

polo1 Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    GW Electrical & Security
    "Pup fuse" - can you explain L? Haven't heard the expression before. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gutterball

11. sparksburnout

sparksburnout Electrician's Arms

Yes I am a bit confused as well Lucian, how it it looped if the fuses are not terminated? Or are they just using the I/C side of them to daisy chain the next one?

12. westward10

westward10 Sponsored by failure. Electrician's Arms

I assume the "pup" fuse is the left one as it seems to be an add on.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  13. 7029 dave

7029 dave Trusted Advisor

Yes, that's how I see it and have seen it, the DNO just leap off the phase to add one more.And it's always L1

14. gutterball

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lucien Nunes

Lucien Nunes Mercury Arc Rectifier Trusted Advisor

A pup is an additional fuse mounted next to the main one, fed from the second terminal on the incoming side via a U-link. The service cable termination in the main fuse has to carry the current for both.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks for that info Lucien.

17. Abruno

Abruno Active EF Member

Cheers for reply's. Yea its a strange set up and the house is a semi detached late 50's build. So gutterball you reckon its restricted to 60 amps? and what sort of work is involved to up the ampage? new head on supply or new cable from street :eek:£££

18. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

Do they need more than 60A?

19. Abruno

Abruno Active EF Member

Calculated max demands over 60A. But that's everything pretty much on, which is highly unlikely.

20. gutterball

See here.

• Like Like x 1