Discuss Domestic Supply ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The cable doesn't look big enough to be three phase, could have originally supplied four single phase, or that's all they had on the van 50 odd years ago.

It is a bit odd. I have a 3P supply into my place, cable looks identical to be honest. Would the DNO supply 4 SP supplies with the common neutral block? Dunno, I would give them a ring, they are really good round here (WPD), I have the local teams number and they are only too happy to come out and have a look. They might even make you a nice bacon butty in their custom built kitchen/van. They have a nasty habit of leaving seals lying about as well.....

Cable could easily be 4c and yes looks like a relic of looped services. Probably too old to have been put in for electric wet CH, although if someone did request a TP+N supply for some reason (I've seen it in a house that was used for some kind of war work) the pup fuse might have been a looped service or to take the existing SP+N supply on a separate meter. Not ideal that the present supply is off the pup, IIRC UKPN limits them to 60A although that tends to assume there's also a service running on the parent. New S7 pups are limited to 30A max partnered with 60A.

"Pup fuse" - can you explain L? Haven't heard the expression before. Cheers.

Domestic Supply ? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I assume the "pup" fuse is the left one as it seems to be an add on.

Last edited:
A pup is an additional fuse mounted next to the main one, fed from the second terminal on the incoming side via a U-link. The service cable termination in the main fuse has to carry the current for both.

A pup is an additional fuse mounted next to the main one, fed from the second terminal on the incoming side via a U-link. The service cable termination in the main fuse has to carry the current for both.
Thanks for that info Lucien.

Cheers for reply's. Yea its a strange set up and the house is a semi detached late 50's build. So gutterball you reckon its restricted to 60 amps? and what sort of work is involved to up the ampage? new head on supply or new cable from street :eek:£££

Do they need more than 60A?

Reply to Domestic Supply ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock