Discuss Domestic testing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi can anyone take me through step by step of best way to test a domestic board and explain how to do tests as I know how to do most of them but not 100 percent I'm a 1st year apprentice so just looking for help thanks

Hi can anyone take me through step by step of best way to test a domestic board and explain how to do tests as I know how to do most of them but not 100 percent I'm a 1st year apprentice so just looking for help thanks
Hi Bradley
I could try and explain testing procedures, but would probably get myself tied up in words.
Do you have any books on Testing GN3, the On Site Guide OSG? there are loads of videos on youtube Chris Kitcher, is by far the best, imo. I would suggest if you haven't any books, invest in the 2 I have mentioned (not cheap) by the way, in the meantime check out the myriad of Youtube vids, good luck.

I think the OP is just trying to get to grips with the procedure of testing for information only, at least I hope so, he would not have enough experience yet to carry out this work, lets give him the benefit of doubt and try not to have a go at him. If the OP is planning on testing the installation himself, I would strongly advise him not too.

No don't have any books just the internet and videos and I'm testing at college next week just wanted to get to grips with it even my college haven't got any books to lend out hence why I'm asking
Cheers

No don't have any books just the internet and videos and I'm testing at college next week just wanted to get to grips with it even my college haven't got any books to lend out hence why I'm asking
Cheers
Try and get hold of the OSG yourself, some college you went to with no books?????

i used this years ago when at college for the sequence of testing...

the first 3 tests are dead tests and the last 3 are live tests... obviously, a ring main will require 'end to end' resistance readings carried out first, this will then enable you to have an idea what the r1+r2 reading will be...

RIPPER

R - r1+r2
I - Insulation Resistance
P - Polarity (dead)

(energise circuit)

P - Polarity (live)
E - Earth Loop
R - RCD test

maximum Zs reading for MCB amperage/type is very handy to know or at least have sufficient literature for reference....!

the first 3 tests are dead tests and the last 3 are live tests... obviously, a ring main will require 'end to end' resistance readings carried out first, this will then enable you to have an idea what the r1+r2 reading will be...

RIPPER

R - R1+R2
P - Polarity (dead)

(energise circuit)

P - Polarity (live)
E - Earth Loop
R - RCD test

maximum Zs reading for MCB amperage/type is very handy to know or at least have sufficient literature for reference....!

corrected that for you.

Don't you work as a apprentice/electrician's mate the rest of the time where you could gain experience with their tester but as Pete said Chris Kitcher does some very easy understandable on line video's

Try checking local library im sure they will have some books to loan out. I would question why the college you are attending does not have the resources or books available to loan out. I thought colleges have library's but I may be wrong. As a first year apprentice and probably on a budget try the auction websites for books as I can say you will need them at some point in the future.

RIPPER

R - r1+r2
P - Polarity (dead)

(energise circuit)

P - Polarity (live)
E - Earth Loop
R - RCD test

Don't forgot continuity of bonding conductors;)

Reply to Domestic testing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net