Discuss door entry / exit problem in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
re my weekend project that I'm doing. I've first fixed for a burglar alarm system. Front of house is all glass including the door, so basically a normal door contact is a no no.
In this situations would a beam in the hallway be possible? The idea being as and when front door opens inwards it would break the beam and in turn start the entry timer.
Bit James Bondish, but you never know. I have allowed for a PIR in the hall way also but just wondered about the actual door itself and glass either side if smashed through. Thanks

re my weekend project that I'm doing. I've first fixed for a burglar alarm system. Front of house is all glass including the door, so basically a normal door contact is a no no.
In this situations would a beam in the hallway be possible? The idea being as and when front door opens inwards it would break the beam and in turn start the entry timer.
Bit James Bondish, but you never know. I have allowed for a PIR in the hall way also but just wondered about the actual door itself and glass either side if smashed through. Thanks

I personally would go for a break glass detector as well as your PIR, then if you do get the system monitored professionally if the break glass activates as the 1st knock the PIR would pick up your 2nd knock and then you have a confirmed alarm that can be policed....
Hope that helps

EDIT: then you can still have your PIR to trigger your entry timer...........

Last edited:
If it for your own house, then program the hallway pir as exit zone, and use "timed exit". If its a job, then you must used a "final exit" setting, so will require a door contact, or lock switch.

If it for your own house, then program the hallway pir as exit zone, and use "timed exit". If its a job, then you must used a "final exit" setting, so will require a door contact, or lock switch.
I've installed a few alarms in the past but only for friends etc. Not put many door contacts in, I've relied on the PIR as the entry / exit. Back then Nacos? are they still about, insisted on door contacts along with insurance companies.
As i said earlier, the front of this house is all glass, therefore unable as i see it to get any cables to the door and fit any door contacts.

NSI theses days, standard is there must be a final exit set, either door contact or lock switch, timed exit is not permitted, but if the system dosn`t require any approval, ie not commercial or just for a friends house, then time exit off the pir.

Reply to door entry / exit problem in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net