Discuss Double pole switch a must for storage water heater? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
From a regulations standpoint, is it a must to use a double pole switch for storage water heater? I don't seem to find it worded as such in the BS standards. The reason I am asking is I want to replace my current double pole switch with a run back timer from CP Electronics. This run back timer seems to have the neutral connected together and looks like it's not a double pole by definition.
Thanks for your help.

in the past, thousands of immersion heaters were installed with a FCU that only isolated L. i can't see a problem except that a falied element could trip RCD with just the N still connected.

You should fit the time controls after the means of isolation as the time control will almost certainly not be suitable for use as a means of isolation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

think davesparks gave the best solution. fit the timer after the D/P switch.

in the past, thousands of immersion heaters were installed with a FCU that only isolated L. i can't see a problem except that a falied element could trip RCD with just the N still connected.

Yes, and I am wondering from a regulations standpoint, is single pole still allowed for immersion heaters?

I agree. One thing that just came across my mind is that with this arrangement, it is likely that the D/P switch would be left permanently in the ON position.
it needs to be to maintain power to the timer . the switch will be for isolation only, while the timer controls whether the heater is on or off.

Single pole isolation is fine for a TN system where neutral is deemed at earth potential. Double pole would be required for a TT system.

You are correct I doubt you would find many, but the original query asked if single pole isolation is acceptable and it is so long as the earthing system is not TT.

Reply to Double pole switch a must for storage water heater? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net