Discuss Downlights in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

1.5mm is my personal preference just because i prefere how it terminates, got me thinking now though...

That is why is use it.

Why on earth would anybody use 1.5mm for domestic lighting circuits nowadays, what a waste of money, like using 4mm standard for ring mains

my pet hate!

So what do you use?

There is only a couple of pounds difference between 1mm and 1.5mm where I get my stuff from.

As far as domestic installs are concerned then 1mm for lighting and 2.5 for small power is almost always the most suitable size.
Generally commercial installs seem to have adopted 2.5mm for lighting and 4.0 for small power as accepted minimum sizes these days, which as a rule of thumb accounts for grouping and VD by default.

As far as domestic installs are concerned then 1mm for lighting and 2.5 for small power is almost always the most suitable size.
Generally commercial installs seem to have adopted 2.5mm for lighting and 4.0 for small power as accepted minimum sizes these days, which as a rule of thumb accounts for grouping and VD by default.

That is what I do for commerical. But where I am, 1mm and 1.5mm are pretty much the same price.

I had never used 1mm twin before I started doing domestic work, never even seen it in fact. I wouldn't even consider using 1.5mm in a domestic install nowadays though. The tiny stuff is so much easier to work with in the horrible customer supplied light fittings I inevitably end up putting them into.

I like the look of that product that Lee has put up, is that it job done or does it need to be in some kind of enclosure, also anybody that does not use 1mm t&e on domestic, don't do many occupied rewires, some of the conduits are tiny on older properties.

I like the look of that product that Lee has put up, is that it job done or does it need to be in some kind of enclosure, also anybody that does not use 1mm t&e on domestic, don't do many occupied rewires, some of the conduits are tiny on older properties.

They have covers that are not shown in that picture. Aye, you can just about get a 1mm twin and three core down the tiny conduits.

I'll use 1.5 for things such as bathroom downflow heaters and depending on length of run and other factors it can be useful for storage heater circuits, most sparks seem to use 2.5mm for these whether it's a 0.85, 1.7,2.55 or 3.4kW, bit of a waste of money really ?

I'll use 1.5 for things such as bathroom downflow heaters and depending on length of run and other factors it can be useful for storage heater circuits, most sparks seem to use 2.5mm for these whether it's a 0.85, 1.7,2.55 or 3.4kW, bit of a waste of money really ?

I'm one of those who use 2.5 for all domestic small power circuits. The main reason is that I only keep 1.0 and 2.5 on the van, I would use the 1.5 so rarely that it would just be taking up space unnecessarily.
But if I had a job with a lot of 10A/16A radials I probably would get some 1.5 in for it.

The last time I used 1.5 twin was for some 10A ufh circuits (3x via a contactor for a big room)

I'm one of those who use 2.5 for all domestic small power circuits. The main reason is that I only keep 1.0 and 2.5 on the van, I would use the 1.5 so rarely that it would just be taking up space unnecessarily.
But if I had a job with a lot of 10A/16A radials I probably would get some 1.5 in for it.

The last time I used 1.5 twin was for some 10A ufh circuits (3x via a contactor for a big room)

I mostly do the same Dave, 1.5 is quite nice to work with though and I'll get some once in a while.

When I do downlights, it's a 1.5mm T+E to the lighting points, then from each point I install 20A 3 pin push junction box with a 1mm flex comming from the juction box to the downlight itself.

I do it like this because I think it looks good. But curiosity got the better of me, how do you guys install downlights? I get fed up of turning up to jobs and seeing two 1.5mm stuffed straight into the horrble connector blocks that come with the downlights. Never really seen any other methods that I can think of the now.

On the other hand, if you're a builder taking care of the electrics as well, you perhaps only carry 2.5mm on the van (well it's good for both lighting and power) ... in which case you probably strip the outer sheaths off, and cram two sets of unenclosed 2.5mm inner cores into the downlight connector block, perhaps taking care not to overtighten the cable clamp and end up crushing/shorting different coloured cores together. See it done this way!

Last edited:
On the other hand, if you're a builder taking care of the electrics as well, you perhaps only carry 2.5mm on the van (well it's good for both lighting and power) ... in which case you probably strip the outer sheaths off, and cram two sets of unenclosed 2.5mm inner cores into the downlight connector block, perhaps taking care not to overtighten the cable clamp and end up crushing/shorting different coloured cores together. See it done this way!

you forgot to mention also 'snip off the earths!' Lol

Yes 1.0mm definitely easier for wiring through conduits especially when you have up to a 6lever switch with strappers for 2way switching etc etc.....as a standard I use 25mm conduit for switches because you end up having to pull in alot of T&E's at certain switch points. Less time wastage on a job....less time more money ☺

We use the click ct202c four pin plugs for our lighting circuits as that are great to work with. The only draw back is they can be hard to connect a three plate at the first light. These are great to remove the fittings for testing or replacement.
Also the cables are secure within the connector with the supplied clamps

hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Downlights in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net