Discuss Dramatic increase in electricity bill since meter replacement..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Noob2013

Hi all,

My parents have recently had a meter replacement and since then the electricity bill has increased dramatically. The installers claim the old meter must of been wrong. They will charge if the come out and nothing is wrong.

They have solar panels on the roof but this was already installed and was no problems beforehand.

Is this a common issue?

Is there anything I can do to prove it's a faulty meter or if it's actually OK?

Thanks

could be that the meter is not recording the solar input or even adding it to the grid supplied elec instead of subtracting. (not very well put, but i'm not well up on the solar thing).

could be that the meter is not recording the solar input or even adding it to the grid supplied elec instead of subtracting. (not very well put, but i'm not well up on the solar thing).

Yeah sounds possibly. Don't worry I understand what you mean :)

I have only had a quick look at the meter and cannot turn off supply until weekend due to my father's office. Also those damn seals need cutting ;)

However, at a quick glance this doesn't look right to me but may be my lack of experience.

Dramatic increase in electricity bill since meter replacement..... {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
[URL=http://s1244.p.com/user/craig_saunders2/media/20161116_132743_zpsvwgyunce.jpg.html]Dramatic increase in electricity bill since meter replacement..... {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
pic not very clear. what is the white led on the meter?

i can't see a N input cable to the meter.

That is what I noticed hence posting the picture.

I haven't seen the cut out wired like that before. Does the connection block on top have a line and neutral on the outgoing cable to the meter?

Back to you original question OP. I did some work for a customer. He was informed by his supplier, that his old meter had been recording incorrectly, and he was in debit to his supplier to several hundreds of pounds. Don't know how they worked that out, perhaps on an average compared to others (he has storage heaters). They agreed on a sum he would pay back. Apparently he wasn't alone.

Prehaps the old meter was analoge and the type that turned backwards when you generated electricidy with the solar. Hence you got the feed in tarrif and a reduced bill becaust the meter turned backwards. (cake and eat it)
Why was the meter changed ? I believe solar installers have to inform the DNO if the meter can run backwards.

Prehaps the old meter was analoge and the type that turned backwards when you generated electricidy with the solar. Hence you got the feed in tarrif and a reduced bill becaust the meter turned backwards. (cake and eat it)
Why was the meter changed ? I believe solar installers have to inform the DNO if the meter can run backwards.

Yeah perhaps that is the case.

Is there a way I can find out myself if the meter is exporting the generated electricity from the solar panels back to the grid?

Is there a way I can find out myself if the meter is exporting the generated electricity from the solar panels back to the grid?

The amount of electricidy you export into the grid is estimated usually 50% (amount could be wrong as solar is not my field)
So its not measured by the meter the red led (depending on your meter type) indicates power used or exported by flashing. (google your meter type for more details)

Cheers Myke

This will be it for sure. During the summer days my meter was spinning backwards from around lunchtime. Basically when the hot water tank was up to temp. So it would unwind at a rate of just under 4kW so pretty quick. It's like having your oven and kettle going in reverse.

I'll be resisting as art meter until the solicitors letter comes through third mail or they cut me off.

Reply to Dramatic increase in electricity bill since meter replacement..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock