Discuss Drawing requirements under the IEE Regulations in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm a Facilities Manager and not an electrician though I do have some electrical qualifications of some years ago. I wonder if anyone would like to give their views on the requirements if any, for the retention, updating and provision of electrical drawings requirements for inspection and testing purposes as required under IEE Wiring Regulations. This in respect of commercial installations. My copy of the IEE Wiring Regulations, albeit only seventeenth edition incorporating amendment 1:2011 has references within regulations as follows:

132.13 Documentation for the electrical installation.

Every electrical installation shall be provided with appropriate documentation, including that required by Regulation 514.9, part 6 and where applicable part 7.

514.9 Diagrams and documentation

514.9.1 A legible diagram, chart or table or equivalent form of information shall be provided indicating in particular:

I. The type and composition of each circuit (points of utilisation served, number and size of conductors, type of wiring), and

II. The method used for compliance with regulation 410.3.2, and

III. The information necessary for the identification of each device performing the functions of protection, isolation and switching, and its location, and

IV. Any circuit or equivalent vulnerable to a typical test

For simple installations the foregoing information may be given in a schedule. A durable copy of the schedule relating to a distribution board shall be provided within or adjacent to each distribution board.

My copy of the IET Guidance note 3 Inspection and testing, IET Wiring Regulations BS 7671:2008 incorporating amendment 1:2011 also indicates the following:

3.6 Required information.

It is essential that the inspector knows the extent of the installation to be inspected and any criteria regarding the limit of inspection. This should be recorded.

Enquiries should be made to the person responsible for the electrical installation with regard to the provision of diagrams, design criteria, type of electricity supply (and any alternative supply) and earthing arrangements.

Diagrams, charts or tables should be available to indicate the type of composition of circuits, identification of protective devices for shock protection, isolation and switching and a description of the method used for fault protection.

3.8.2 Process – prior to carrying out inspection and testing

….. Also, the extent of previous maintenance, routine tests and documentation, including the original design and Electrical Installation Certificate, should be established.

3.8.3 General procedure

….

6.2.1 Where diagrams, charts of tables are not available, a degree if exploratory work may be necessary so that inspection and testing can be carried out safely and effectively; this may include a survey to identify switchgear, control gear and the circuits they control.

Indeed, for more involved installations without diagrams or charts the client should be advised that such diagrams require producing prior to inspection and testing commencing. Alternatively, the inspection can commence in cases where the inspector feels that it is safe to proceed (this may be limited to a visual inspection); the production of diagrams and charts can be called for on the Electrical Installation Condition Report.

I appreciate that this has been updated in the Regulations.

The statements above are open to interpretation but I recall watching a training video on inspection and testing maybe 25 years ago and recall the need for as-built drawings to be made available. I’d therefore appreciate the views of others on this, maybe from an accreditation agency, though publications from the NICEIC seem to be largely straight from the regulations.

Links such as this one Electrical maintenance: the importance of good practice - IET Electrical - http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/60/electrical-maintenance/index.cfm entitled Electrical maintenance: the importance of good practice also state the following:

It is vital for both designers and construction teams to recognise the importance of the O&M Manual that they pass on to the maintenance team when they leave site. This is an integral part of the project completion process. However, it is often left until the last minute and rushed, leading to mistakes. By the time the construction team produce their as-built drawings the design team have moved on to the next job. Drawings and documents do not always get the rigorous review they need to ensure accuracy. The advent of Building Information Modelling (BIM) may improve this situation in terms of up-to-date information being produced as the project develops, but that remains to be seen. In the meantime, most projects will follow traditional patterns with the inevitable gaps in continuity in the flow of information.

I explain to my contractors that I want to avoid both my customers and the electricians from encountering an electrical hazard and want to improve electrical safety management for all as well as I am able to. For instance poor asset records is mentioned on Importance of effective electrical safety management - IET Electrical - http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/58/esm/index.cfm and the availability of drawings are likely to be part of the risk mitigation in safety management.

Looking forward to your views.

Thankyou for caring about your site documentation !
Having information to hand helps when assessing current condition, finding a fault or expanding the site. Folks can have knowledge and are more likely to spot something not right before it becomes a safety issue, in my opinion.

This is what I would like to see (the foregoing utopian ideal) that all diagrams charts and schedules of circuits are readily available prior to an EICR. Previous EICR all EIC's issued in the interim, maintenance schedules on all systems and so on. I have yet to encounter it. Where there is no documentation/diagrams it means the client will be paying for a schematic of all circuits to be mapped (at some considerable expense) prior to carrying out an EICR.
Of course where there are all the above, the client saves a lot of money as we can approach the EICR on a sampling basis which is by far, a lot less work. Labelling of DBs is often missing, ad hoc additions without certification are often encountered. Poorly maintained systems are all too common.
I do wonder that you need to persaude the electricians of the importance of proper record keeping regards circuits and distribution, surely they should know this and be completely on board with it. After all it is not only the safety of others, it is their own personal safety at risk. As well as that there is also taking pride in your trade and getting it right no?
The CEO of where I do work on commercial office space has been advised that all DB need to be labelled to identify the circuits. He has downright refused to pay for such work, deeming it not needed. (yes I have advised him in writing as to the ramifications of that) With those kind of attitudes...

Sadly, though I agree with Vortigern on this matter, the reality is the majority of companies will not see it as an essential requirement. Most don't bother until either there is a major problem or an accident.
You will also find that the attitude towards electricity and gas is often different. In my experience a company won't hesitate to have the gas accessories and equipment updated, documented and inspected on a regularly basis.

I've just been out to such a firm this week! The gas boilers, kilns and heaters are all bang up to date. The D.B's are still the original 1900..'s re-wire able, asbestos carriers, cast iron type.

The government has got to be partly to blame for this attitude. Maybe a change in legislation is required.

I ask the question because it is important and I've personally witnessed near misses through lack of clarity of circuits etc. I ask my electrical companies to properly report on shortfalls so that I can use such as a tool to get funding but have problems getting that input. I did have one recent success where the lack of adequate access to a DB (where they had to lean over a sink and I persuaded them to document in their report, and if I recall I highlighted the regulation to report it under) got funding for a kitchen refurbishment that made space for access. They helped me and I helped then in avoiding injury trying to reach a DB. In general however I find that electricians (that my company have employed) are seemingly insufficiently experienced at this or reluctant to do so. Hence why I asked the question of the wider community as to whether there's further documentary references to this of competent bodies e.g. NICEIC, NAPIT etc who provide further guidance than the vague elements I've referenced. Looking forward to further input.

Reply to Drawing requirements under the IEE Regulations in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net