Discuss Drilling stone walls? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

imago

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I have a full rewire to do on a stone (blue dolerite) terrace in Wales. Aside from the obvious (blood, sweat, tears, lots of masonry bits etc) are there any drill bits in particular that are better than others for this stuff?

There won't be much chasing required fortunately, as careful selection of routes and a wall that will be lined with insulated plasterboard will get over that issue.

OK, thanks.

I was hoping that someone would have invented a miniature thermic lance or something since I last had to drill stone. :sad3:

Get someone with enourmous hands and forearms larger than most mens' thighs to do it!

for some reason thats reminded me of a phrase involving an orange and a babies arm.

I have a full rewire to do on a stone (blue dolerite) terrace in Wales. Aside from the obvious (blood, sweat, tears, lots of masonry bits etc) are there any drill bits in particular that are better than others for this stuff?

There won't be much chasing required fortunately, as careful selection of routes and a wall that will be lined with insulated plasterboard will get over that issue.
sds bits are fine for stone in a decent drill fella.

I had to fit some 4inch fans on a barn conversion with flint solid walls inside and out , it all just breaks up and then you end up fitting solid soil pipe and making good the flint wall , then I had to use lime mortar mix to match the existing wall outside , pain in the a___ job.

Get some 1m plus long bits.

If its like some stone buildings ive worked on before the walls are very thick.

If needs must hire an sds max

Be prepared for your arms to fall off if you start chasing with one though

I really don't want to try flint, but thanks for the offer. :smile5:

Decent quality SDS is the way I was going, but as I've been lucky enough to avoid stone for a long time and only work on brick and play-doh blocks I wondered if anything new had become available in the way of drill bits for hard material. Better to ask and find out there isn't, than get to the end and some cheery soul say "Why didn't you just use ........".

I really don't want to try flint, but thanks for the offer. :smile5:

Decent quality SDS is the way I was going, but as I've been lucky enough to avoid stone for a long time and only work on brick and play-doh blocks I wondered if anything new had become available in the way of drill bits for hard material. Better to ask and find out there isn't, than get to the end and some cheery soul say "Why didn't you just use ........".

Quad tip bits are good. Ill check but there is a company that makes all makita, bosch etc bits

They have there own brand bits that are the same but a lot cheaper

Hilti SDS bits every day of the week for up here in the valleys. Don't lean hard on them let the drill do the work, push too much and you'll just melt them!

Buy them off the shelf at CEF, whatever the make, if they burn out whilst using them on that job you can take them back and they will replace under warrenty for free so no big deal just get the cheap ones and you will save money on that job.

Buy them off the shelf at CEF, whatever the make, if they burn out whilst using them on that job you can take them back and they will replace under warrenty for free so no big deal just get the cheap ones and you will save money on that job.
get one of these from orange shed:

Drilling stone walls? mE4q_8LYJZ4n3kAASqd8pw - EletriciansForums.net

when you pop it...just take it back..get another

(be sure to remember if asked...`your not trade`...wont you)...

Reply to Drilling stone walls? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock