Discuss Driveway Lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

walec

Hi All,
My Customer want electric lights down the drive, approx. 60M. 6 lights in total.
Not a problem until I saw the lights, Pillar lights which have a transformer on them with a standard plug.
Usually I would put the transformer inside the light column, cut the plug off and hard wire but with this type of light the transformer is too big to fit in the column. The only thing I can think to do is put the transformer in a metal IP box, fill it with gell and bury it. I know the regs say it must be serviceable but I cant think of another way of doing it.
Any ideas?

Hi All,
My Customer want electric lights down the drive, approx. 60M. 6 lights in total.
Not a problem until I saw the lights, Pillar lights which have a transformer on them with a standard plug.
Usually I would put the transformer inside the light column, cut the plug off and hard wire but with this type of light the transformer is too big to fit in the column. The only thing I can think to do is put the transformer in a metal IP box, fill it with gell and bury it. I know the regs say it must be serviceable but I cant think of another way of doing it.
Any ideas?
Why oh why do people allow customers to dictate what is suitable and what isn't we are professionals and people pay for our knowledge, (at least most do), they should have asked you to provide/specify what is/was needed, not just go to the nearest DIY shed or ebay and buy something that is totally unsuitable for purpose, and expect us to wave our magic wand and perform miracles, walk away mate if you can't do it safely, or get them to let you get suitable lights. No details of your experience on your profile, so can't really offer any technical advice, only general thoughts sorry.

Think filling the box with gel, is going to overheat the transformer. You'll have to think of another idea, or get the customer to get something more suitable.

Extend the low voltage cables back and house all the TXs in the dry somewhere.
Ideally I'd check what the transformer outputs are and the light requirements and then source a dedicated transformer to feed them all. Then the cabling is easier as you can run just one feed.

Hi All,
The only thing I can think to do is put the transformer in a metal IP box, fill it with gell and bury it.Any ideas?

What would you then do with the metal box? Me thinks the customer and you need to rethink the solution - and 60m cable - good luck terminating that!

It would need to be checked but I'd guess LED lights. So probably a few watts each. So even 12 watts at 12V is only 1A.
Not too demanding on cable 12V at 1A. Assuming they are LED.

Why would you run mains when you can run 12V?

For Halogen lights yes but with the new LED lights at a few watts each the current is very small.
I would use pretty heavy cable to make it "tougher" and that helps with volt drop.

Hi All,
Any ideas?

Put one of these sockets on a post next to each light and plug them in.
BG Electrical Weatherproof Large Housing Single Socket WP23L | RS Electrical Supplies - http://www.rselectricalsupplies.co.uk/bg-electrical-weatherproof-large-housing-single-socket-wp23l_8691

I'm sure the customer will love it.

I don't think putting led drivers inside the house is out of the question, I have seen this done with considerable lengths of run.

Reply to Driveway Lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net