Discuss EAL Course in Inspection and Testing in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It just makes it more of a minefield when trying to get qualified & then look for work if companies dispute what the industry states / permits.

I think what you have to realise the industry is now driven by training companies and schemes out to make a quick buck where quantity overrules quality add to that the fragmentation of skill sets within the industry that is blindly being driven through has changed the view of what an electrician is

It goes back to people only knowing that they knew as the point they qualified and not accepting changing within the industry - this goes for regs / equipment / qualifications, the lot!

It is all very well deriding the old school experienced sparks and there opinions but there is accepting change from the technological aspect and embracing new skills or there is accepting a change which is a lowering of the bar of what qualifications and experience make an all round fully competent electrician who can work on any type of electrical installation
The industry for a number of years has IMO been driven by the "those can't teach it" creating their own courses and giving all comers the minimum required as can be seen from the decreasing skill levels.
I really think you need a lot more experience before firing bullets at the old school

Last edited:
I really think you need a lot more experience before firing bullets at the old school

I'm not firing bullets at the.old school ... without your (their) knowledge & experience we would never learn. However, if people aren't prepared to give experience or knowledge (through assistance / job opportunities) to the new breed because they have a qualification that is deemed by individuals to be inferior (whilst the JIB now accept EAL over C&G) then the industry will lose that skill & experience due to individual's opinions.

If I could buy 30 years of industry experience I would, however as I can't I'm paying for the training that is available from the industry / government / colleges and trying to gain experience "on-site" and from talking to people who have already gained the knowledge (hence why I am on an electrical forum).

Last edited:
I think what you have to realise the industry is now driven by training companies and schemes out to make a quick buck where quantity overrules quality add to that the fragmentation of skill sets within the industry that is blindly being driven through has changed the view of what an electrician is

It is all very well deriding the old school experienced sparks and there opinions but there is accepting change from the technological aspect and embracing new skills or there is accepting a change which is a lowering of the bar of what qualifications and experience make an all round fully competent electrician who can work on any type of electrical installation
The industry for a number of years has IMO been driven by the "those can't teach it" creating their own courses and giving all comers the minimum required as can be seen from the decreasing skill levels.

im qualified now but i spent most of my apprentaship doing bms and on the job im working on at the moment a lot of the guys on it are 15-20 years older but know naff all about bms its a nightmare trying to connect up after they have pulled cables in writing on the cables are a mile long and they quite often miss the important bits so you need to reference a set of drawings so you can check where they need to go XD

the problem with all these training schemes is a lot of places dont touch controls or rather there are not really a lot of qualiciations about that the installers actually get its more inhouse training as such

(in other words im now reguarded as competent enough to blow **** up without killing myself XD_

Hello all. i know this was more than a year ago. i am walking the same path as many. getting bits of paper to allow me to wire a plug up for granny miggins down the street.

i think i get the worry of the dissolution of standards with an open book examination. i would dismiss that multi-choice = multi-guess. i have taken many of such way way back in the 80's to gain my military technical qualifications.

thing is. whilst running through the debate of c&g or eal. i note that c&g have reborn the 2391 and its open book too.....

i am pretty sure thats going to be met with a pile of dismay from some quarters.

my question would now hinge around.

eal or c&g????? any difference???

No difference in terms of you will gain a qualification in testing and inspection and thus be eligible for an approved electricians grade from the jib which may mean more money in your pocket.
People can debate who is better but the fact remains that one isn't better than the other in terms of qualification status/grade it brings

I would definitely go with the C&G 2391 as it's the most recognised and by the sounds of it, its as easy if not easier than the EAL course now that it's open book.

Can't believe that they're calling an open book test & inspect course the 2391 but you'd be daft not to sign up to it.

Reply to EAL Course in Inspection and Testing in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock