Discuss EAL level 3 engineering maintenance electrical in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just started the course and am in the process of trying to answer the knowledge questions. However am struggling with some of the answers. Has anybody completed these and are able to help. Maybe have there old questions ( god loves a tryer). Or do you know any decent books or websites that maybe to help me

I've managed to answer sections 1,2,3 however trying to answer 4,11,12,13,14,15 are much harder and stressing me out.

Any help is much appreciated

OCheers for reply mate . Yeah any help is much appreciated. I've took the ones I've answered or should I say attempted out. I'm focusing on this section right now and these are the questions I have left. I think the answer is in some of the questions but some of it I have never coverd so just been trying to google information.

This is section 11 carrying out fault diagnosis on electrical equipment

6 Describe the procedure to be adopted to establish the background of the fault

7 Explain how to evaluate the various types of information available for fault diagnosis

9 Explain how to use various items of fault diagnostic equipment to investigate the problem

10 Describe the various fault finding techniques that can be used, and how they are applied (such as half-siplit, input-to-output, emergent problem sequence, six point technique, function testing, unit substitution, injection and sampling techniques and equipment self-diagnostics)

12 Explain how to analyse evidence and evaluate possible characteristics and causes of specific faults/problems

13 Explain how to relate previous reports/records of similar fault conditions

15 Explain how to calibrate electrical test instruments and check that they are free from damage and defects

16 Explain how to obtain and interpret drawings, circuit and physical layouts, charts, specifications, manufacturers’ manuals, history/maintenance reports, graphical electrical symbols, BS7671/IEE wiring regulations, and other documents needed in the maintenance process

17 Describe the basic principles of how the circuit functions, the operating sequence, the purpose of individual units/components and how they interact

18 Describe the different types of cabling (such as multi-core cables, single-core cables, SWA cables, MI cables, screened cables), their associated fittings, and their application

19 Describe the different types of motors and starters, and their operation

20 Describe the different types of control systems and components, and their operation

21 Describe the different types of electrical components (such as plugs, switches, lighting and fittings, junction boxes, consumer units), and their operation

22 Explain how to evaluate the likely risk to themselves and others, and the effects the fault could have on the overall process or system

23 Explain how to prepare and produce a risk analysis report, where appropriate

24 Explain how to prepare a report or take follow-up action which satisfies the company policy on concluding fault diagnosis

Reply to EAL level 3 engineering maintenance electrical in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net