Discuss Earth Bonding question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Have a job in the pipeline and whilst doing a pre-install visit noticed there was no earth bonding in place.

The property has no gas so not expecting to see this but there was nothing for the water either.

On questioning the customer said he was aware but his electrician had assured him that as his water was spring fed, not mains, he didn't need earth bonding. Is there any means to confirm whether this is true or not?

My thoughts are that there is still a metal pipe leaving the property going to earth thus creating a potential path and as such should have earth bonding in place.

Any thoughts?

The property is a 17th century farmhouse and the cable route would be from the back to the front, the route is difficult.

My understanding is, where required, earth bonding must be in place and tested or put in place and tested in order to carry out any new installation.

There are tests to confirm if the internal metal pipework needs bonding, but it certainly sounds like that pipe would qualify as extraneous.
What was the means of earthing for the house?

Have a job in the pipeline and whilst doing a pre-install visit noticed there was no earth bonding in place.

The property has no gas so not expecting to see this but there was nothing for the water either.

On questioning the customer said he was aware but his electrician had assured him that as his water was spring fed, not mains, he didn't need earth bonding. Is there any means to confirm whether this is true or not?

My thoughts are that there is still a metal pipe leaving the property going to earth thus creating a potential path and as such should have earth bonding in place.

Any thoughts?

The property is a 17th century farmhouse and the cable route would be from the back to the front, the route is difficult.

My understanding is, where required, earth bonding must be in place and tested or put in place and tested in order to carry out any new installation.
Don't know if this will help you.

That is very low where is the supply transformer, below the kitchen sink:)

Did raise an eyebrow with me however the separate earth cable coming into the property was at least 16mm this joined the other properties at high level then left for a post mounted transformer approx 30 meters away.

If water enters the property via a metallic pipe buried in the ground outside then in almost all cases this will be considered an extraneous conductive part and wil require bonding.

If you test met to pipes and get a result less than 22K it needs bonding. This is the 230V/10mA - 1kohm(finger resistance) calc. Personally I would bond as @Ian1981 has said.

Will quote for running it in then, always wary of being accused of quoting for unnecessary work.

Thanks for replys.

Reply to Earth Bonding question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net