Discuss Earth bonding question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TripleJay

first post so not sure if this is the right forum. I could do with a little bit of electrical advice.... It's to do with earthing straps in the kitchen. Replaced the sink taps... previously the pipes going up to sink had an earth strap each got and cold. Water pipes are plastic speedfit, apart from tails to tap which were copper and had earth straps fitted. Now just got plastic pipes connected to braided hoses for taps.... any advice appreciated... cheers...

The 'earth straps' were probably fitted some years ago, when your install did have copper pipes. It would do be pointless to attach them to the braided hoses for the taps.

The only other consideration is whether, below your sink is where your main water service enters your property, and perhaps should be bonded. If you have a plastic service, it does not require bonding. However the OSG recommends bonding metal pipes after plastic service, unless it can established that said metal pipes are not introducing a Earth potential.

The bonding of hot & cold services (previously under your sink) may have been the location where the original electrician chose to supplementary bond (which may or may not be still be required in your property). Are you an electrician?

The 'earth straps' were probably fitted some years ago, when your install did have copper pipes. It would do be pointless to attach them to the braided hoses for the taps.

The only other consideration is whether, below your sink is where your main water service enters your property, and perhaps should be bonded. If you have a plastic service, it does not require bonding. However the OSG recommends bonding metal pipes after plastic service, unless it can established that said metal pipes are not introducing a Earth potential.

The bonding of hot & cold services (previously under your sink) may have been the location where the original electrician chose to supplementary bond (which may or may not be still be required in your property). Are you an electrician?

Thanks. No, I'm not an electrician. The mains supply into the house is in another room.... not sure what to do with the two earth wires I now have loose under my sinks... thoughts?....

It is a bit of a dilemma. Is there one green or green/yellow single cable connected (i.e. the cable comes from somewhere else) to one of these two clamps and then to the other clamp, or is there just one such cable between the two?

I suspect they were irrelevant in the first place some electricians will connect earth wires across pipework even if not required.

Should I just strap them to the braided hoses, if nothing else it will stop them flapping about?..... about to get my cooker which is to the right of the sink, replaced. It will have an electric oven... not sure if that is relevant, but it is in arms reach of the sink, as is the cooker main switch... thanks for any advice...

Its difficult to tell from here. I would recommend you have an electrician inspect this and your main bonding of your water service. It may be that they are redundant as Westward suggested, but I would have that verified, to be sure.

It's never been a requirement to supplementary bond pipes under the sink that are not extraneous pipework.
If the cold water feed comes in under the sink and it's extraneous then your protective bonding for the water goes there and that's it.

It's never been a requirement to supplementary bond pipes under the sink that are not extraneous pipework.
If the cold water feed comes in under the sink and it's extraneous then your protective bonding for the water goes there and that's it.

It may be that this point was used to carry out supplementary bonding, as required by current & previous regs, if required. Unlikely point I agree, but something that needs verifying. As regards whether the water service needs bonding or not, something the OP should seek advice from an on site electrician.

PS you've never replied to the chat we were having on this subject, you could make it #54 :)

It may be that this point was used to carry out supplementary bonding, as required by current & previous regs, if required. Unlikely point I agree, but something that needs verifying. As regards whether the water service needs bonding or not, something the OP should seek advice from an on site electrician.

PS you've never replied to the chat we were having on this subject, you could make it #54 :)
I'll have a look.
We could get to 60

Reply to Earth bonding question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net