Discuss earth fault loop impedance in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello :)

I'm confused about EFLI which I am guessing should be relatively straight-forward.

I can't get my tired brain to figure out how to calculate the value for EFLI on system-side circuits?

eg:

what should the actual calculated value be for a 40A circuit, and how do I get that figure?

any help would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Gary

Zs = Ze + (R1+R2) where Ze is the external earth fault loop impedance measured at the origin of the installation, R1 is the continuity of the line conductor and R2 is the continuity of the CPC.

Zs will often vary as a result of parallel earth paths, resistance in connections.

In terms of what the calculated value will be, the bigger the cable, the lower you would expect Zs to be, the longer the cable, the higher you would expect Zs to be.

But what you're aiming for is the maximum permitted Zs to ensure the protective devices operate in the required disconnection times.

So for a 40A Type B breaker to BS EN 60898 you would want to see a Zs no higher than 0.88 ohms (this is the temperature compensated value from the OSG). This allows the circuit to achieve a fault current of (I=V/R => 230/0.88) 261A, this is well above the current required for 0.1 to 5 second disconnection time.

Hello :)

I'm confused about EFLI which I am guessing should be relatively straight-forward.

I can't get my tired brain to figure out how to calculate the value for EFLI on system-side circuits?

eg:

what should the actual calculated value be for a 40A circuit, and how do I get that figure?

any help would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Gary
Zs=Ze+(R1+R2) So you will need to measure Ze measure R1 nd R2

230 v x cmim =218.5
218.5/ minimum current in amps given for device in appendix 3 to trip between 0.1-5 seconds for mcbs
= max zs at 70 degrees
For 40amp type b is 40x 5=200 amps
218.5 volts/ 200= 1.09 ohms

For type c 40x10=400amps
218.5/ 400=0.54 ohms

that hurt my brain! :D

The reason I am asking is I am having a go at a practice theory question, which is:

1. The following measured values of loop impedance were recorded for six circuits in an installation. Each circuit is protected by a BS EN 60898 type B cb. Referring to the maximum tabulated values given, show by calculation if these measured valus are acceptable.

2. For any circuit that does not comply, suggest a method of overcoming the situation.

Measured impedance values in ohms:

CT1 CT2 CT3 CT4 CT5 CT6
40A 32A 32A 20A 16A 6A
0.5 1.25 0.96 1.62 2.0 7.3

Maximum tabulated values in ohms (BS7671)
1.15 1.44 1.44 2.3 2.87 7.67

And I am confused!

I have beer in my fridge...maybe I should have one!
:D

i presume it wants you to apply temp correction and Ci factors to get a revised max. value for each.

The give away is where it says "measured values". Those values of Zs you quote are not as stated in the current Edition of BS7671 they are from an old version.

if you look at the 32A, the value measured complies as it stands ( 1.25 < 1.44 ) but once you correct the 1.44 ( x. 0.8 x 0.95 = 1.0944 ) so 1.25 then does not comply

I suspect they want the "rule of thumb" calculation which seems dumb if this is an exam question. The rule of thumb being your measured readings should not exceed 80% of the tabulated value in BS7671.

The reason I am asking is I am having a go at a practice theory question, which is:

1. The following measured values of loop impedance were recorded for six circuits in an installation. Each circuit is protected by a BS EN 60898 type B cb. Referring to the maximum tabulated values given, show by calculation if these measured valus are acceptable.

2. For any circuit that does not comply, suggest a method of overcoming the situation.

CT1 CT2 CT3 CT4 CT5 CT6
40A 32A 32A 20A 16A 6A

And I am confused!

Hi Gary.
The zs maximum in bold is before amendment 3 17th edition so out of date.
they added the cmin 0.95 correction factor in 3rd amendment

CT1 CT2 CT3 CT4 CT5 CT6
40A 32A 32A 20A 16A 6A

And I am confused!

Hi Gary,
Did you sort this? I am currently in the same conundrum? I do appreciate this was a long time ago for you..

Reply to earth fault loop impedance in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock