Discuss Earth Leakage problem in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

J.Spark

Hi....I am new here and have a question/problem with an earth leakage tripping.

This problem has me stumped and if anyone can help me it would be great.

A client called me out for an earth leakage tripping. Was going to do the normal test to isolate the problem but then noticed that almost all the breakers are making it trip. To cut a long story short I ended up replacing the earth leakage unit and the same thing happens. The strange thing is that this earth leakage trips on breakers which are not even wired through the earth leakage. Also it trips even when there is absolutely no power on the earth leakage.

Any ideas anyone as I am out of options here.

Hi....this distribution board hasn't been touched in 5years. All wiring and neutrals are where they are supposed to be and has been working with no tripping for 5 years. 11 circuit breakers out of 20 breakers in the board making it trip. Also when the mains is shut off completely as on no power at all on the unit it trips. IR testing doesn't pick up anything.

I also tightened every connection in the db. Found a few loose connections which seemed to have stopped the tripping for a bit but then tripped again. Thought I was out of the woods. There seems to be a ghost in this db!

Hi....this distribution board hasn't been touched in 5years. All wiring and neutrals are where they are supposed to be and has been working with no tripping for 5 years. 11 circuit breakers out of 20 breakers in the board making it trip. Also when the mains is shut off completely as on no power at all on the unit it trips. IR testing doesn't pick up anything.

Have you carried out IR testing on every circuit?

Test for crossed or commoned neutrals (and lives) between all final circuits

Hi....I am new here and have a question/problem with an earth leakage tripping.

This problem has me stumped and if anyone can help me it would be great.

A client called me out for an earth leakage tripping. Was going to do the normal test to isolate the problem but then noticed that almost all the breakers are making it trip. To cut a long story short I ended up replacing the earth leakage unit and the same thing happens. The strange thing is that this earth leakage trips on breakers which are not even wired through the earth leakage. Also it trips even when there is absolutely no power on the earth leakage.

Any ideas anyone as I am out of options here.

Is the thing that's tripping a differential current RCD or an old style Voltage Operated Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker?

Did you test the sensitivity of the first device before you changed it?

What testing have you done?

It's a voltage operated earth leakage circuit breaker. Trips out at 30ma as well as the new one. Did the manual testing...visual inspection and IR testing

Will have to take the pic tomorrow as I have left site already. Bypassed the unit so long and works fine when bypassed. Will send tomorrow. Thanks

It's a voltage operated earth leakage circuit breaker

This is important and needed to be stated explicity. VOELCBs can trip as a result of a fault in a nearby property even when the ELCB's own installation is switched off, because they monitor the CPC not the L & N. If there is a difference in potential between the earth electrode and any part of the installation CPC, perhaps at a fitting in casual or deliberate contact with an extraneous pipe, then a current will flow through the tripping coil. Possible causes include a non-protected circuit next door dumping current into a service pipe or the rods being too close together and in each others resistance area.

Conversely, this type of problem cannot affect an RCD as it neither knows nor cares what is going on with CPCs and main earthing conductors.

This is important and needed to be stated explicity. VOELCBs can trip as a result of a fault in a nearby property even when the ELCB's own installation is switched off, because they monitor the CPC not the L & N. If there is a difference in potential between the earth electrode and any part of the installation CPC, perhaps at a fitting in casual or deliberate contact with an extraneous pipe, then a current will flow through the tripping coil. Possible causes include a non-protected circuit next door dumping current into a service pipe or the rods being too close together and in each others resistance area.

Conversely, this type of problem cannot affect an RCD as it neither knows nor cares what is going on with CPCs and main earthing conductors.
Ok....never came across a problem like this....came across many trippings but not one of this nature. [emoji16]

Reply to Earth Leakage problem in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock