Discuss Earth Leakage problem in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Last night I bypassed the ELCB so that the client has power hence no wiring in the unit....Earth Leakage problem uploadfromtaptalk1458113511533 - EletriciansForums.net

If only we'd had the pics to start with. Let's recap:
In South Africa.
3-phase supply to board with TP main switch, unswitched neutral.
Loads (mainly or all single-phase) supplied from SP MCBs.
Supply side of MCBs hand-wired and SP busbar, not ready-made TP busbar.
12 circuits on blue phase fed via DP 30mA RCD, associated neutral bar arrangements not visible.
RCD trips with load on unprotected circuits and sometimes even with main switch off.
IR on all circuits thought to be OK.

VOELCB was a red herring!

^^Yeah deffo not a voltage operated device. The set up above is pretty much standard for large domestic and small commercial, we don't usually use pre-assembled CU's and I'm surprised there's even busbar, usually the MCB's etc just have multiple wire links across the tops of them.

Not sure why it's a 3-phase supply, domestic is usually single phase 60A but wit three geysers it's possibly commercial. The fixed loads such as geyser (immersion heater) and also the outbuilding should be fed by d/pole SP+N MCB's so the DB is not compliant.

JSpark, the board is a bit rough even by our standards but par for the course. Refer to the previous posts, identify the L+N of all the circuits on the RCD and do the tests for insulation and crossover with other circuits. Just be methodical, treat as dangerous until you figure out why the earth leakage is tripping with the main breaker off.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that there is a main switch on the energy dispenser unit (as per pic) which serves as the main switch. This one cuts off the neutral as well.
Earth Leakage problem {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Yes the board is very shoddy. This DB was wired by some magician 5years ago. Though 3phase set ups are quite common here in domestic installations depending on what the client requires or municipality requires etc etc. You even get some bachelor flats here that have a 3phase incoming supply.....so yes some of the 3phase set ups here are overkill.

Geez guys....this problem is not cool! Went through the entire DB....neutrals are all where they are supposed to be....lives where they are supposed to be but still when switching off the mains at the energy dispenser which cuts off neutral as well the ELCB still trips. Sometimes it stays on for as long as 5mins and sometimes within a few seconds it trips out. I feel like back pedalling out of here. Driving me insane!

...but still when switching off the mains at the energy dispenser which cuts off neutral as well the ELCB still trips. Sometimes it stays on for as long as 5mins and sometimes within a few seconds it trips out.

With the supply isolated at the 'energy dispenser' (not a term we're familiar with over here), try measuring the voltages around the offending ELCB: L-N, L-E, N-E, on both supply and load side with the ELCB both closed and open. I'm finding it hard to understand an ELCB (or RCD) tripping without a supply of some sort.

Yes it's very hard to understand. I cannot for the life of me understand this. Haven't cone across a tripping issue like this in all my years of being in the trade. An energy dispenser (ED)/ pre-paid meter is the unit the municipality installs so that the consumer can buy their own units of electricity and punch it in which does away with the conventional billing system and the council (lazy buggers) reading of the meter every month.

Don't give up, it sounds like it's actually getting interesting, I like interesting, it's refreshing to get involved in fault finding where things are seemingly unexplainable.

Just a thought and a long shot as well, when the power is isolated on t-pole MCB on the pre-paid ED try testing for DC voltages L-N, L-E & N-E in the DB as well as AC voltages.

Last edited:
OK will do....thanks. I will have to explain the enormous bill these clients are gonna get for a time consuming tripping problem lol! Will keep you updated

Reply to Earth Leakage problem in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock