Discuss Earth or not to Earth that is the question? Metal table/floor lamps in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

NotASparks

Gentlemen i throw myself at your mercy and your knowledge in an attempt to get a professional and correct answer to a quandary i have regarding the earthing of metal lamps.

I have been asked to design & build a series of all metal electrical table and floor lamps. Building these lamps does not pose a problem but the correct way to wire them up does. I am not an electrician.

My thought is that they need to be earthed, and the best way to do so is using three-core cable as the lamp fitting will be conventional metal BC or like lamps fittings. I have been told two-core can be used but lack of knowledge or not i have my doubts. Could you please enlighten me?

Regards

Welcome to the forum, I have approved your thread in the general forum for a speedier response, when admin is next on line you may be given DIY access and thread relocated.

if the casing of the lamps/fittings is metal, then it must be earthed. however, if you are manufacturing these items, then the design must be approved and complyto relevant standards and probably need a CE marking. not a project to be taken on without a vast amount of capital behind you.

Last edited:
if the casing of the lamps/fittings is metal, then it must be earthed. however, if you are manufacturing these items, then the design must be approved and complyto relevant standards and probably need a CE marking. not a project to be taken on without a vast amount of capital behind you.

I thought it was possible to legally install hand-made items of electrical equipment, for example a hand-crafted bespoke wall light?

Thanks for your reply.
These lamps will be produced in small runs and would be retailed to the public.
One option i may have is to buy in pre-made flex including fitted 3-pin plug from a lighting manufacturer, assemble the lamp and have it PAT tested. Would that be workable?

I thought anything electrical that was put on to the market had to comply with the low voltage directive and be CE marked. Don't forget that not everything that has a metal case has to be earthed - it can also comply with the double-insulation/class II requirements instead. Daz

I thought anything electrical that was put on to the market...

Does the OPs count as putting on the market though, or is it a one-off bespoke job? Is there a difference if he's not planning on selling them through JML?

Even if the OP is just going to fit them into his house I think the insurance company would have a field day if there was any accident and all the correct regs and CE paperwork was not in order.

Sorry, totally missed the post where OP says they will be retailed, so my question is moot anyway.

OP, do some research on the low voltage directive and CE marking before you start your production line. Daz

Last edited:
As mentioned above you will need not only to prove that the lamps are safe, but also to certify that the design and construction is in accordance with the relevant standards. This usually involves submitting samples to a professional test house and compiling the necessary documentation to demonstrate compliance. One possible alternative might be to purchase complete lampholder-and-wiring sets where following the manufacturer's instructions automatically results in a compliant assembly and finished product. I have seen such things made e.g. for turning bottles into lamps, but they were double-insulated with plastic lampholders. If all the wiring within the lamp can be double-insulated and a plastic holder is acceptable visually, then earthing may not be necessary.

Reply to Earth or not to Earth that is the question? Metal table/floor lamps in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net