Discuss Earthing Arrangements Explained + Photo's in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I think these overhead earthing systems are being done away with due to copper theives leaving the rural customer without an earth

Not a chance in hell, the cost of taking most of these overhead supplies underground will cost more money than what the banks lost, when the massive fraud scam came to light!! lol!!

I was under the impression that we were to assume a value of 16ka(but I could be wrong)
According to the OSG the maximum fault current likely to be found in domestic properties in the UK (unless in heavily built up areas) is 16kA.

However this is probably stated because annex Za of BS60439 provides an additional test, for domestic consumer units that are protected by a BS1361 fuse at the supply, to ensure that a BS60439 consumer unit can take a 16kA fault current without danger.
This permits the use of protective devices in the consumer unit that may not have the short circuit rating to cope with the prospective fault current since the assembly as a whole will cope.
This is part of why the manufactures do not permit different makes of breaker in their consumer units, they say they are not tested for those units.

Here's our overhead supply for comparison and comment. Our transformer is served by two high voltage conductors, which in turn come from a string of poles carrying three conductors - ie two of the three branch off to our property. I assumed these were two phases from three phase, but comments here now make me unsure.

Earthing Arrangements Explained + Photo's {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

One green/yellow sheathed cable comes from the case of the transformer into the ground on the N side of the pole.

On the other side of the pole the two cables out of the transformer join the underground service cable which goes to our meter cabinet. One connects via the isolator or fuse or whatever it is (the grey item), the other is clamped directly. After the join to the service cable, there's another earth that goes underground at the foot of the pole on the S side. The DNO guy who traced and marked the cable routes for us said that this would run some distance horizontally underground while still insulated, then further distance uninsulated.

Our earthing arrangement was described as "CEW" and also "TN-S" by the DNO engineer, after he opened part of the cut-out to check.

Tony S

Last edited:
So does anyone have a picture of a PME system :joker: Seeing as freshman are bound to be seeing that old chestnut.
I know, I know, but the question will be asked, guaranteed.

Reply to Earthing Arrangements Explained + Photo's in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock