Discuss earthing metal backboxes in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Do you install a flylead to metal backboxes??

• Yes

Votes: 40 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 35.5%

• Total voters
No question

you connect the CPC to the face plate and then the fly lead to the back box

The earth terminations on back boxes are not to be trusted, IMO.

The best way, if you leave enough cable, is to connect one cpc leg (if an RFC), double it over at the plate, then on to the backbox. That way, you get a continuous and quick cpc connection. The downside is that it wastes a lot of brown and blue.

I've always done it. I know it's not strictly necessary any more, but it just doesn't feel right not to do it! And always CPCs into accessory and a flylead to back box.

Always earth the box, was always taught to. Don't like seeing on leg of the earth bent over into the terminal and then onto the frontplate, if it snaps you have the potential of an open circuit

Always earth the box, was always taught to. Don't like seeing on leg of the earth bent over into the terminal and then onto the frontplate, if it snaps you have the potential of an open circuit
If any cable snaps at a termination, you will have open circuit? therefore we take precautions not to snap the cables and to test on completion to see if they're snappped.

The reason they did it was most circuits were run in conduit pipe and no earth was run because the conduit was the earth but when you pulled the socket off the box then there was no earth hence the flying lead

basically the metal back box requires earthing , it relates back to regulation 8 of the electricity at work regulations 1989
which states precautions shall be taken ,either by earthing or by other suitable means as to prevent danger ,
i.e a danger could be present if a line conductor comes a drift we need to make sure the fuse or breaker disconnects ,
again 99 times out of a hundred i will have say 3 earth cables in a ring main socket earth terminal the reason for this years ago i looked at the risk of people getting say an electric shock and decided that the larger risk came from the accessory metal plate or plug or after the plug so common sense dictated the lowest path of resistance would be connecting all three earths together ,plus over time doesnt the damp and plaster turn the metal back box terminal green increasing the resistance of that connnection

please also note i still consider myself the apprentice at 49 years old , cheers

basically the metal back box requires earthing , it relates back to regulation 8 of the electricity at work regulations 1989
which states precautions shall be taken ,either by earthing or by other suitable means as to prevent danger ,
i.e a danger could be present if a line conductor comes a drift we need to make sure the fuse or breaker disconnects ,
again 99 times out of a hundred i will have say 3 earth cables in a ring main socket earth terminal the reason for this years ago i looked at the risk of people getting say an electric shock and decided that the larger risk came from the accessory metal plate or plug or after the plug so common sense dictated the lowest path of resistance would be connecting all three earths together ,plus over time doesnt the damp and plaster turn the metal back box terminal green increasing the resistance of that connnection

please also note i still consider myself the apprentice at 49 years old , cheers

No it doesn't.
The EAWR only applies when an installation is being constructed (but not if it's the householder doing the construction), or if the installation is or will become a work place.

i'll be the first person to say i don't put a fly lead on. No need to and those that say it only takes 10 seconds longer are dreaming. You must have good prices in. Switch of supply before removing cover applies to sockets aswell

I was taught to do it as a boy apprentice, when I queried it because of the metal bolts/fixed lugs I was told that it wasn't strictly necessary but that it was good practice. Nigh on 30 years on I'm still doing it for that reason and until someone convinces me otherwise I'll continue to do so, old habits die hard and for the time and materials it uses why the hell are we discussing it? Just Do It:)

ive seen it done 2 ways,1. flylead to back box and 2.one earth from ring to back box the other to socket and link in between,but always taught to earth back box no matter what

i'll be the first person to say i don't put a fly lead on. No need to and those that say it only takes 10 seconds longer are dreaming. You must have good prices in. Switch of supply before removing cover applies to sockets aswell

I put them in the box before I fit them, does'nt take long.

I agree Billy, it adds about 1 minute to each box, not 10 seconds....
No need to "technically" do a great many things in life, but they are good practice, and in many cases make life easier down the line for someone.

Billyhas, there's no need to look both ways when at a zebra crossing because the drivers are legally required to stop for you but we all do don't we

Reply to earthing metal backboxes in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net