Discuss earthing metal shed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi all

just wondering what is the best way to earth my shed.

The shed is the full metal type which they sell at screwfix 8ft x 6ft

I've put a single light inside and one outside from fused connection units inside the shed, they run from another fcu which is a RCD FCU from my decking.

so what's the best way to earth the shed as it's fully metal

As the shed is not part of the electrical system it will not require earthing.
If the shed is intended to create an equipotential zone inside it and the shed is tested to show it is introducing an earth potential into this zone then it would require bonding.
This would require a (probably) 10mm² green and yellow single core cable run from a connection to the shed itself back to the main earth terminal in your consumer unit and continuity of the cable and the connection to the shed proved.

I wondered why Richard is up at 3am.... It's not right.

As the shed is not part of the electrical system it will not require earthing.
If the shed is intended to create an equipotential zone inside it and the shed is tested to show it is introducing an earth potential into this zone then it would require bonding.
This would require a (probably) 10mm² green and yellow single core cable run from a connection to the shed itself back to the main earth terminal in your consumer unit and continuity of the cable and the connection to the shed proved.

I would install a garage board in shed and TT the shed As 9/10 there is not a 10mm bonding conductor from MET to shed location and running one would be difficult compared to driving a couple of coupled earth rods in.

As old as I feel :)

I'm 48 (physically. Metally, my missus says I haven't reached double figures yet...) . Don't know if that is classed as 'old' on this forum.

Reply to earthing metal shed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock