Discuss earthing micc cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

electrician4u

just done an EICR where the CU is supplied by a 2 core 6mm MICC CABLE. The main Earth connection was bodged using a copper clip with a bit of 2.5mm cable attached to the outer sheath. Obviously that's coming out. My question is whether it's permissible to use an Earth clamp on the outer sheath to connect to the MET in the CU?

if there's no earth lead on the gland, the easiest way, IMO, would be to fit a banjo and fly lead.

What is the cable terminated into at the moment? If the gland is through a plastic box, fit a Piranha nut. If it's into metal but not the CU, banjo as per Tel. If no gland, can you re-seal with an earth-tail seal?

Onions you must eat more spinach than me if you can 'split' a 2H6 with anything less than a cold chisel and hammer.

If there's enough spare cable I'd seriously consider repotting it with a pot with an earth lead in it. If not, Tel's and Onion's methods would do the job just as well

Well a pyro clamp is essentially 2 bare p clips with a solid block to screw into. Surely the best method is to use the materials that are designed for the job.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

thanks for the suggestions. I would appreciate a pic of the pyro clamps. just read a similar thread on the IET forum that says because the supply cable is the property of the distribution company, nothing should be attached to it, although someone mentioned that during an upgrade to the supply of a block of flats they were at, Tenby Earth clips have been used with a 16mm lead coming off them. I like the piranha nut idea. never heard of them b4 but just looked them up

I'd bet a £ to a pinch of pig poop that this MI is nothing to do with the DNO. Someone on the IET forum has picked up the wrong end of the stick.
In 34 years since coming into the trade I have never seen a DNO feed in MI

I'd bet a £ to a pinch of pig poop that this MI is nothing to do with the DNO. Someone on the IET forum has picked up the wrong end of the stick.

Same as, but seen plenty of subs.

sorry, my mistake. they were referring to lead sheathed cable on the IET forum. you're also correct in saying it comes off a sub/isolator, so attaching something shouldn't be a problem. as for the pyro clips, are they easily available and do they come in different sizes?

Really ?? They are very common round here. Usually in council flats, three phase CO in bottom flat and subs fed from this in pyro with single phase CO and meter in each flat. Also seen them looped from the incoming side of a single phase as well.

Really ?? They are very common round here. Usually in council flats, three phase CO in bottom flat and subs fed from this in pyro with single phase CO and meter in each flat. Also seen them looped from the incoming side of a single phase as well.
Oh well, I stand (sit) corrected

I've never seen this either. I take it the supply into the 3 phase CO isn't going to be MICC. I bet all those subs were actually provided and installed by the project electrical contractor, rather than the DNO.

Reply to earthing micc cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock