Discuss earthing SWA gland in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sharpe

Hi, i would like to make sure i understand this properly.

On a TNS supply, using 3 core SWA to run a sub-main, and using the third core for CPC, where the SWA gland terminates into a plastic enclosure, how is it best to earth the armour?

Am i right that you run a fly lead (the same size CSA as the live conductors) from the banjo/piranha nut, back to the MET?

Or do you run a bonding conductor from the banjo/piranha nut, to the earth terminal inside the enclosure the gland is terminating into?

Or can you do either

Thanks

The SWA needs earthing regardless of earthing system. If you are not using the armour as a CPC then i would just earth it at the supply end with a flying lead, either a banjo or piranha nut as you have mentioned.

If using the armour as CPC then it would need earthing at both ends.

What size CSA is this SWA?

:smile:

I would mount a metal adaptable box directly below the CU. The swa would be gland into that and then an earth lead would run into the CU from there. Obviously the 3 cores run directly into the CU

You are confusing earthing with bonding from your description.
The armour of SWA needs to be earthed and not bonded.
Earthing is ensuring a solid path to earth for fault current to allow the PD to operate in the case of a fault.
For SWA a fly lead from the gland needs to be connected to the adjacent earth terminal (generally where the SWA cores are terminated).

The SWA is 6mm, it doesn't actually terminate at the main CU.

The sub-main comes from DP henley blocks, in 16mm tails to a 40a switch fuse, then 6mm T&E and 6mm earth single to a whiska box where it connects to the SWA, the SWA gland then is terminated using a whiska earth bar, the SWA then runs to new consumer unit.

My question is do i run a 6mm fly lead from the whisk earth bar, right the way back to the MET at the main `CU? (which is what i thought was required)

Or as i think you guys are suggesting, connect the fly lead from the whisk earth bar to the earth terminal inside the whiska box to the same terminal as the CPC? (where the SWA cores are terminated)

As has been stated, you are earthing the SWA as it is part of the electrical system and is not an extraneous conductive part. Don't get this confused with Main protective bonding.

:)

Reply to earthing SWA gland in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock