Discuss Ebay Consumer unit (new) thoughts in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pat H

-
Reaction score
I haven't used them - they just seem too cheap? I'd like to see the certificate of conformance, as they will be from a land far away where they may test them (or not) and stds mark them (or not) as two independent activities, if that makes any sense. But I know I'm a worrier ...

I'll have RCBOs for fire alarm mains feed (so those will come before the RCDs). Summer house feed and aircon unit feed.
The two RCDs will be split across the rest of the houses sockets and lights.

Nice but its £200 for a metal box! hard to see how it costs so much more. (maybe the metal is gold?)

That looks like a good solution. Including the RCBOS the price is good as well.

If cost is an issue, then MK fully populated CU is a consideration. Not a lover of installing obscure makes, just in case one of the devices goes faulty, and the replacements are hard to find. MK still have an issue with MCB's twisting when tightening connections, down to their floating busbar option. Wylex also do fully populated CU, but not as cheap as MK. IMO the Wylex one looks a bit industrial, if it's being installed in a prominent position in a domestic property.

I can do the tests myself. I'll be testing all the circuits before I do the switch. That way any odd readings can be investigated and resolve before I do the switch.
My niceic assessment will be on that work and the notification will then be via the niceic

I can do the tests myself. I'll be testing all the circuits before I do the switch. That way any odd readings can be investigated and resolve before I do the switch.
My niceic assessment will be on that work and the notification will then be via the niceic

Sounds good. Just make sure your earthing and bonding are up to scratch!

Earthing and bonding is all good. Did that a little while ago.

Look like Chint or CPN and is probably of the same quality. I certainly wouldn't fit one for someone else let alone my own property, stick with known brands.

Have a look at the new 'Newlec' boards from Newey & Eyre. Made by Havells using what are basically the old Wylex pattern devices, although the 1 I fitted today was a bit different...Really well thought out with industrial style bolt in gland plate (comes with conduit & trunking entry options in the box.) Prices are great...but then Neweys always looks after me..! Best bit is the bling 'pearlescent' sparkly finish front that customers seem to love

I fitted a Havells board last year at a commercial site, I chose it because it was the same as a Memshield 2 board and would be virtually like for like, never again.

it's a re-badged chint. i've fitted a few chint boards and they.ve all been in several years without any problems.

I wouldn't touch it. Use a well know and reliable make like Hager.

What will you do in a couple of years time, you need to add another circuit. You turn to your supplier and ask for a 32amp HAROK MCB, can he get you one? Or even a compatible one?

Consumer units will be there for 20-30 years, you need something that you'll be able to get parts for.

Reply to Ebay Consumer unit (new) thoughts in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net