Discuss ebay van trouble in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tbs1983

Hi guys, Sold my old van on ebay the other day. £600 buy it now. Listed every known fault I could think of, said the usual stuff like no tyre kickers, haggling etc, price is final.

Some guy bought it and turned up with his mate to collect on friday, from the word go he was checking everything thoroughly, picking out faults, and being quite intimidating.
He asked to take it for a test drive so I agreed with me as passenger, again he was picking and generally degrading the van. He picked the tracking was pulling to the left slightly which I hadn't realised, but agreed with so i knocked £50 off the price.
Cash was paid, documents wxchanged and off he went.

This morning i receive an ebay message off him saying on the way home the van went into limp mode, that I must have known about it, that its gonna cost hundreds to repair and basically demanding £100 part refund or he will give me bad feedback (I have a 10 year 100% history)
In two years of ownership it never went into limp mode with me, then suddenly by coincidence on his first journey it does for him.

Ive refused the refund, told him he had ample opportunity to check van thoroughly which he did, and even test drive it.
Ive said if he wants to pursue the matter further to contact his solicitor and we will settle the matter in court.

I'm 100% convinced he's a chancer and trying it on.

Be warned, the used vehicle market has far 2 many dodgy geezers for my liking, buyers as well as sellers.

Have I done the right thing? anyone had similar?

Don't worry about it. He sounds like the sort of guy to try it on for sure. You get a chance to respond to any bad ebay feedback as ha been said above.
Feedback on ebay is only calculated over the last 12 months now anyway, so even if he does leave one bad comment, it will be back up to 100% next year.

You should not have let him take if a test drive . He'd already agreed on price . Risk you take on eBay . Bought as seen ! Always have that listed they are cars/vans of course things go wrong with them ! ( my father sells 2nd hand death traps oops I mean cars ! )

Didnt actually use the words 'sold as seen' in my listing, but listed every single small problem I was aware of, plus said

'remember this is a £600 van not a £6000 van, If you want a mint van look elsewhere, If you want a cheap van with 9 months MOT and 3 months tax, and are prepared to live with or repair the known faults this could be for you'

I hate the used vehicle industry with a passion, got caught out with a bad purchase on a car last year, now I'm having hassle as a seller!

Horrible industry!. glad i chose Electrics!

Thanks for the feedback guys, Been worrying me all day despite knowing Ive done no wrong.

My Mrs said after he went he looked/sounded like a Gyppo, might have known i'd have hassle.

Not had a reply yet after sending the one saying I won't refund and to contact his solicitor.
Waiting for a response now , if any.
Will keep u updated.

The only time you might have a problem is if you misrepresented the vehicle condition, and by the sounds of it you didn't. If as he says it's gone into limp home mode then the only way to find out what the problem is, is to plug it in to a diagnostic computer, now comes the good bit, this ECU will have logged all the faults that have caused limp home along with the TIME AND DATE. If he can't show you that then he can go and whistle, well he can go and whistle anyway, it was sold as seen.

thanks for that, handy to know. Haven't heard anything back since I sent the reply early this morning, but suspect I haven't heard the last of him, will use this info if I get any further hassle, demand a copy of the ECU printout.

So this guy paid £550 for a van and is now wanting it even cheaper there are times when Ebay brings out the dishonest dregs of society

It is usually better if you have a few mates round when someone is coming to view a vehicle as they always turn up with a mate or two with the intention of intimidating the seller

Have seen this attempted before first hand when my brother sold a car guy came up with problems that didn't exist the thing is my brother is a mechanic and didn't let onto this until the guy kept on finding more and more minor faults on a car that was 8 years old he eventually told the guy to take a hike as he wasn't getting the car as he wasn't going to take his money however little he wanted to pay.

A tip some one gave me years ago was to get them to sign a receipt for you that the vehicle was sold as seen with no warranty and by signing they are accepting this

.......this ECU will have logged all the faults that have caused limp home along with the TIME AND DATE. If he can't show you that then he can go and whistle......

My thoughts exactly tell him to show you the evidence of previous limp-mode events or take a hike.

They won't even let me take fire arms on domestic flights any more never mind international. I blame the Yanks....

that's nothing ( the OP, i mean). heard yesterday a guy sold a genuine 2nd hand rolex on ebay for £4K. buyer opened a dispute, saying it was fake. ebay gave him the 4K back and took it off the seller. buyer then returned a fake watch.

I have a brother in law who's exactly the same. Every single purchase he makes he find fault with and demands a refund or discount or something for free. It was so rediculous it was astanding joke and everyone who knew him knew he was famous for this. He's like a pit bull and doesn't let go until he gets his way, he's had more complaints letters published in the local rags than I've had hot dinners. Last time I was in the UK and we went to a restaurant he started making a scene because there was something supposedly wrong with his food and the manager refused to discount his entire meal from the bill. We fell out that evening because after several warnings I gave him a firm clip around the ear when my sister wasn't looking.

Reply to ebay van trouble in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net