Discuss economy 7 rcd test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

lurch

-
Reaction score
Hi

I have just installed an RCD to an exixting E7 install. Does any one know if there is a test facilty in order to test the Ze and the RCD? Otherwise I gotta come back at 1130pm!!

Thx in advance

Failing the above check with the customer some of them have a 2 hour boost in the afternoons. Your customer should be able to find that out from his supplier.

Chris

or maybe alter the times, then return to normal!
mmmmmm. . . . . . me thinks this is the power board side of things, therefore not possible.

you could temp feed it via some phase blocks??
phase blocks? do you mean henly blocks? also not p[ossible as there are none in and the supplies are in the ground floor garage whilst the flat is on the 3rd floor.

come on guys . . . how would this be done on a new build?

Last edited:
on the meter side of the do you mean? dunno? I'm not down there for a couple days now, so will look then.

Having worked for a supplier in the past - The majority of timeclocks are sealed and depending on your area some may be controlled remotely by radio signal.

I can't even think of a way around this that would help. I'll give the Meter Operators a call tomorrow if I remember see if they can shed some light on a way that you can carry out the test.

Failing that your late night suggestion seems the way forward :D

I used to do maintenance on e7 storage heaters, immersion heaters, and electric combi boilers, so know where your coming from. You could put it down as a limitation however not a good idea especially as it's new install. If it was me I'd measure the ze at the timeclock / telemeter incoming connections, then you can calc your individual zs values, then once that's done temp supply onto the new e7 board and test your rcd.
If you can't get onto your incoming timeclock / telemeter connections you'll have to calculate the r1 + r2 value of the supply cable, think the calc is cable csa milli ohm per meter (get this from the regs) for live and earth and multiple by length of run and divide by 1000.
Add that value to your (assumed one main supply, then peak and off peak metering) main incoming ze then theirs your off peak value.
Hope this helps

How does temporarily feeding the board not solve the problem of the RCD testing? You'll have power, do your 6 tests, and Bob's your Fathers brother...

But as mentioned above, it's not big and it's not clever, but it's a means to an end! ;)

if your gonna feed the off peak board from the peak board be careful as some installs use a different phase for off peak to on peak. have you thought about taking the rcd out and testing it? if you only want to test trip times

perhaps I'm missing the plot here. but isnt the point to test the rcd in its final lcation to prove its functionality in the installation?

Reply to economy 7 rcd test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net