Discuss ECR Unsatisfactory in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SensesFailYou

Hi guys

i carried out an ECR last week and it had a few category 1, 2 and 3. Obviously resulting in a fail which wasn't great news for the client. They said well there's no point in giving us an unsatisfactory cert and asked if I could do the works and issue a satisfactory grade. So iv since done the work and have the unsatisfactory cert half complete. Once this is complete is it a case of giving him that then also completing minor works certs for what I fixed leaving only the cat 3? Or do I just fill out a new ECR? (I reckon it will be minor works certs as well which will detail what I have done but do I issue just one satisfactory ECR and leave the old issuing minor works certs for what I have changed.

Cheers guys I have a few more questions but I'll add them while I fill out the certs!

you completed the EICR with the fails etc. listed. then complete either EIC or MEWIC for the remedials and attach to the EICR. you can also enter on the comments section of the EICR.. " remedial work carried out as per attached documentation".

Because you've compiled the original EICR and your redemial works are so soon after the inspection Id be tempted to go along the lines of what Tel states.

1) Complete original EICR - Fail
2) Completed remedial works with EIC/MEIWC (as applicable)
3) Complete new 'Pass' EICR with updated results from 2) above.
4) Issue whole lot as a "package" to client giving audit trail from "fail" to "pass" for work you have done!!

When you've had C1 issues with the original inspection this covers your "butt" a whole lot better than just correcting the work and issuing a single stand alone EICR!

Just a note little deviation but I was told once by a guy to save on paperwork fix what's wrong and issue a new EICR throw old one in bin and just start again,

Just a note little deviation but I was told once by a guy to save on paperwork fix what's wrong and issue a new EICR throw old one in bin and just start again,

That’s the practical way of doing it!!

But by the “book” you should be issuing the relevant EIC/MEIWC (as applicable) and registering it under Part “P” (if applicable) for any work you do, regardless of whether you are going to do an EICR afterwards. Quoting “I was told by this guy ….” down the pub or otherwise, wont cut any mustard in the judicial system!

In this case for me its particularly important to do it by the “book” as when you have C1’s involved you need to be thinking “butt” covering more than saving a piece or two of paper! You never know whats going to come back around the corner and bite your “butt” …..

(Disclaimer: Not that in any way I have ever done it the "practical way", would think of doing it the "practical way" or would condone doing it the "practical way" -- even where the corrective work was of a minor nature!! )

One was only suggesting another persons methods, the company I work for are used as third party inspectors and never do remedial work purely inspections so we don't need issue any other paper work.
Just goes to show people are always willing to cut corners

Out of interest what were the C1's?

the following was faound:

1) Outside adaptable box had a large piece missing from the front,
2) Socket Upstairs was damaged showing copper
3) Earth stake was giving a reading of 425 Ohms (Couldnt even find stake if there was one! i predict under the floor which has since been covered)
4) RCD Not functioning properly. Tripped on half reading and during Zs tests even though my meter should prevent this.

3) Earth stake was giving a reading of 425 Ohms (Couldnt even find stake if there was one! i predict under the floor which has since been covered)
4) RCD Not functioning properly. Tripped on half reading and during Zs tests even though my meter should prevent this.

Thats not a C1

Sorry for jumping into this thread but what's the general feeling about fixing C1s such as

There and then? Personally I would show the client the issue and fix it there and then but I know of a lot of people who would just observe and write it down.

I personally fixed those issues straight away a socket costs nothing and I fortunately had an adaptable box they cost pennies also. The likes of the CPC and earth I had to with gritted teeth leave as it was late on a Friday and sadly I didn't have the gear plus I needed the go ahead from the customer.

Rectify observations has you go along can add wait until you have done the full report and then decide if its worth putting a quote in or just repairing it there and then if you feel its not worth the paper work . If you take you car in for an MOT they don't repair things free of charge so it can pass the test :)

1) C2 unless live parts can be touched directly by hand then C1
2) C1
3) C3
4) C2

4) RCD Not functioning properly. ---- C2

Interesting one. If you aint got any RCD's protecting your installation its only a C3 --- unless its forming part of a TT system or for sockets liable for outside use?

I haven't seen anything suggesting a failed RCD should be a C2 but you could well be correct!

Can anyone throw any definitive guidance as to why its a C2 --- not trying to be contentious here for a change, just for my own edification.

Interesting one. If you aint got any RCD's protecting your installation its only a C3 --- unless its forming part of a TT system or for sockets liable for outside use?

I haven't seen anything suggesting a failed RCD should be a C2 but you could well be correct!

Can anyone throw any definitive guidance as to why its a C2 --- not trying to be contentious here for a change, just for my own edification.

As the mention of an earth stake I would of thought it was A TT system Hence the C2

As the mention of an earth stake I would of thought it was A TT system Hence the C2

You're right, I knew and gave the answer in my response but didnt read the question correctly!

So to re-phrase my question, if it wasnt a TT system and the RCD failed what would the code be?

Reply to ECR Unsatisfactory in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock