Discuss EICR 3036 board - coding - meter tails in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You seem to think that your way is the only way that's called ignorance!

No I think what he is saying, that people conducting EICR's, should have a high level of competency, experience, knowledge etc. Some chaps on here have just left school and are doing them.

Trick is, how do you obtain that 'competency, experience, knowledge etc, in the first place. Kinda chicken & egg thing. :)

Be nice if people could carry out EICRs using gained knowledge and competence as opposed to harping on about the Best Practice Guide and what the NICEIC make up, well we would certainly have less people doing them that is for sure.

Be nice if people weren't so ignorant to think, that reading and listening to people to gain knowledge wasn't a waste of time.

Be nice if people weren't so ignorant to think, that reading and listening to people to gain knowledge wasn't a waste of time.
It is an excellent way to gain knowledge working alongside more experienced people whilst referring to relevant Regulations. Who thinks this isn't the case?

Be nice if people could carry out EICRs using gained knowledge and competence as opposed to harping on about the Best Practice Guide and what the NICEIC make up, well we would certainly have less people doing them that is for sure.

Hum... Like kettle calling black ... From the man that doesn't understand the bs 7671 definition of a "circuit"

OP wishes he kept his mouth shut now:) This is the exact reason i hate EICRs, they are for the astute spark who loves picking holes in other peoples work and has a deep understanding of BS7671. I will try anything to get out of periodic's as they have to be the most boring aspect of the trade, most blokes who do them solely are usually rubbish at install work or spend all day arranging their tools.

OP wishes he kept his mouth shut now:) This is the exact reason i hate EICRs, they are for the astute spark who loves picking holes in other peoples work and has a deep understanding of BS7671. I will try anything to get out of periodic's as they have to be the most boring aspect of the trade, most blokes who do them solely are usually rubbish at install work or spend all day arranging their tools.

I do a few Will but would have to agree that they an be very boring. And with all this talk of quoting reg numbers to back up codes that isn't so difficult as all the info you need is on the schedule of inspections. ;)

it will contain any fires longer than a plastic enclosure before eventually the fire spreads from a metal consumer unit that is the point.

it will contain any fires longer than a plastic enclosure before eventually the fire spreads from a metal consumer unit that is the point.
It has nothing to do with containment. To reduce the risk of fire you remove sources of heat, oxygen or a combustable material, in this case it is combustion by replacing the plastic enclosure with metal.

Never assume that by fitting a metal consumer unit the risk of fire is eliminated it merely slows its progress, if a fire starts within a metal enclosure it will eventually spread and that is a certainty.

Never assume that by fitting a metal consumer unit the risk of fire is eliminated it merely slows its progress, if a fire starts within a metal enclosure it will eventually spread and that is a certainty.
Never said it was eliminated.
I've seen the various videos by different manufacturers, a plastic enclosure burning against a metal enclosure.
What I'm trying to say which is stating the obvious is it gives better containment against fire because it does!
I don't understand where all the negative comments are coming from ?
Always someone trying to shoot you down on this forum.
Opinions are welcomed negativity or sly comments are not.

I've seen the various videos by different manufacturers, a plastic enclosure burning against a metal enclosure.
What I'm trying to say which is stating the obvious is it gives better containment against fire because it does!

Just ignore them Ian if you feel that way. I've enjoyed your input recently and seem like another knowledgeable member so stick around....you will get used to how different people post etc. :)

Obviously metal boards are better but if connections within are sound the material of the enclosure is probably irrelevant. I can see where you are coming from by saying in contains fire better but the point of them is to remove the source of combustion. Trying not be be negative here:)

Just ignore them Ian if you feel that way. I've enjoyed your input recently and seem like another knowledgeable member so stick around....you will get used to how different people post etc. :)
Wear my heart on my sleeve maybe a bit too much lee.
Enjoy reading different people's methods and theories, if I can bring something positive to the table then I will.
It's interesting how everyone interprets bs 7671 different tho which is why I believe best practice guides, iet guidance notes and on site guide are written to try and make it a bit more clearer.
However using these guides seems to be a show of lack of experience or knowledge which is frankly laughable. All relevant regulations are quoted against such information so you can cross examine against bs 7671.

This thread has gone down hill tho.

Last edited:

Reply to EICR 3036 board - coding - meter tails in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net