Discuss EICR Coding - Armour not glanded in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Unquestionably a C2 - basic stuff really as you have an exposed conductive part which isn't earthed.

In this case it has been stated that there are no conductive parts of the SWA exposed to touch though. Only closer inspection with further dismantling could prove if they pose a hazard surely ?

In this case it has been stated that there are no conductive parts of the SWA exposed to touch though. Only closer inspection with further dismantling could prove if they pose a hazard surely ?
SWA armouring is always considered to be an exposed conductive part.

If you feel it is swa from the cores you have the chances are it is, it is highly unlikely that it is not.

If you cannot verify the SWA is earthed and its inaccessible, C 2 all day long on a Sub main cable, its most likely being feed from a ryefield board of some sort on a 63 amp Fuse,
I kind of get the consumer unit end but at the Electrical cupboard, that's poor.

you also have know idea of the cable route it take's or how many other flats it could travel through buried within the wall possible not even in safe zones just to get to the flat it serves.

C2 and unsatisfactory . cover your self and hopefully get some work out of it.

Just out of curiosity why would you give a non RCD'd circuit covering a Twin and earth buried cable as a C3?
is this not potential dangerous ?

C2 on my watch. better to be over cautious. you can be accused of making work for yourself with a C2, or appear in court if you give it a C3. i know which option I'd go for.

Just out of curiosity why would you give a non RCD'd circuit covering a Twin and earth buried cable as a C3?

C3 because it complied at the time of installation. just non-compliant with current regs.

Late to the party, but as Tel says - complied at the time but not now, but it's not particularly dangerous (as a socket that is liable to have a lawn mower plugged in to it with no RCD protection might be considered dangerous)

Last edited by a moderator:

C3 because it complied at the time of installation. just non-compliant with current regs.

The eicr is based purely on current regulations, if something does not comply with current regulations and warrants a code then it gets that code irrespective of when it was installed.

A fused neutral was a requirement of the regulations once, but you don't let it pass today.
Bare conductors on porcelain cleats or in wooden casing complied once upon a time, but you also don't let that pass today.

Was told to C3 cables <50mm in walls on an EICR on my EAL testing and inspecting course the other year, napit also give the same advise (although they seem to give a different answer to the same question depending who you talk to)

You need to make your own decision based on circumstances, BS7671 states a minimum C3 entry.

I agree complete with with the sentiment that buried cables in prescribe cable zones are not that dangerous........ we have the Darwin awards for a reason!

Its complete subjective I don't think there a right or wrong answer.

But I have very few home owner's ask for an EICR, mainly when they're buying a house, and in that circumstance I would agree a C3,
and most like recommend a new CU for there Piece of there piece of mind.

Landlords and commercial customer asking for an EICR,

I would call it a C2, as these guys are doing this more for commercial, legal protection and insurance purpose, so in this instance cover your arse!

If its a landlord, he can spend the money and make the installation as safe as possible.

If its an employer, he can spend the money and make the installation as safe as possible.

If its a home owner, he can do what he like's. its very unlike he'll take me to court.

I went with the advice of FI in this instance, as I can't guarantee it's SWA but all evidence suggests it is. I'm no longer working for my uncle, I saved a copy of the report as I left it, so if he decides to change it to a C3 then that's on him, but I have the report showing exactly what I classified it as.

Left uncle on good terms, just want to cover my backside as you never know what's around the corner.

I agree with FI, I wired a HMO with SWA from Switch Fuse (Metal Wylex 110M) properly glanded in main intake cupboard to CU in flat. Terminating SWA on CU would be ugly with all other wires entering from rear. I spent weeks deliberating solution.
Old spark suggested terminating behind CU with floating gland and bringing flying earth lead into CU.
I didn't like the idea to begin with, but could not see anything technically wrong.
At the Intake cupboard it is clearly visible, the EIC details it's SWA.
Maybe you have a similar scenario?

You got a link to these 'floating glands'or was it something you fabricated? (Or do you literally mean a gland that is just floating behind)

push comes to shove, could gland into a wiska box or galv. conduit box, then link up to CU with appropriate cable, ensuring that the armour is earthed, of course.

Reply to EICR Coding - Armour not glanded in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net