Discuss EICR Help! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

dlt27

-
Reaction score
Hi all, Any avice on the following would be appreciated.
The buildng is a listed building that has been converted into 4 flats. All flats have KMF with 16mm t+e to each flat fed from cupboad outide bulding. Gas meters are in the cupboard as well.(PME system)
1 what I would like to know is does each flat need to have 10mm bonds from outside MET to each flat as earth in t+e is only 6mm or could I use the adiabatic equation? (nightmare to do, each flats exising bonds are 6mm). Gas meters could be bonded in cupboard outside by MET, however i thought gas and water should be bonded where it enters each flat.
2 The one flat wants a board change done however DB is a foot above the floor. Is it ok to do this or would I need to raise it and do joints with adaptable box and din rail. (client wants new one put where exiting one is).
3 One flat has antique brass fittings with no earth terminal provided. Does anyone know if you can solder a terminal onto brass so I can earth them or is it new fittings?
4 What code would you give to 12v downlights in zone 1 and not IP 44 rated?
Thanks again for advice.

You need to bond the gas within 600mm of meter, yes the bonding needs to be 10mm and you cant use the adiabatic equation due to it being tncs (pme). The water will need to 10mm and you will have to run a bond upto the flats or at least to pipe that feeds that flat, are they not all metered somewhere before the flats ? if so you could bond them within 600mm of meter

The consumer is fine

you could solder it on and as long as its a good joint then no problem, are you sure it isn't a class II fitting because I got one recently and it had metal parts but didn't need earthing as stated in the instructions.

The 12volt downlights don't require a code as they are not 230v

No you do not need to run a 10mm cable from the Flat CU to the incoming services. It is a sub-main, so the bonding should be done at the Incoming service/ryefield board etc.
If you wanted to, you could bond the incoming services on entry to the flat.

It's an existing CU, so yes, you can replace it as it is now - make a note on the install Cert to state what you've done.

Yes, new fittings. Would you really be able to say you've reached the Product Standard when soldering on an earth tag?

Are the lights suitable for the environment? If they let water in, then they are not, even if they are 12 volts.

Last edited by a moderator:
No you do not need to run a 10mm cable from the Flat CU to the incoming services. It is a sub-main, so the bonding should be done at the Incoming service/ryefield board etc.
If you wanted to, you could bond the incoming services on entry to the flat.

What do you mean if you wanted to? Services need bidding at the point of entry to each installation. Where multiple flats in a single building are concerned then bonding is required at the point of entry to each flat as each flat ha sits own electrical installation.
GN8 has some good diagrams which illustrate this perfectly if you don't understand

Providing the OP has as much common sense and tool using ability as a monkey then why shouldn't he connect an earth wire using a soldered joint?

Last edited:
3 One flat has antique brass fittings with no earth terminal provided. Does anyone know if you can solder a terminal onto brass so I can earth them or is it new fittings?
4 What code would you give to 12v downlights in zone 1 and not IP 44 rated?

3:
I know I can solder a terminal onto the brass plate using a silver solder to achieve a good performance at the maximum conductor operating temperature, but the question really is can you?

4:
I don't know the answer as you haven't given enough information! Is it an SELV supply or otherwise? For a start

Reply to EICR Help! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock