Discuss EICR issues and small works. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hey all,
Been to do an EICR on an oldish property before rental plus add in some sockets in garage etc..

Problems mostly been sorted while doing the new sockets etc.. but have no r1,rn or r2 on what I presume is supposed to be a ring final covering the entire house. I haven't gone any further with the diagnosis on this circuit as yet due to the estimate for sorting will need to go through the relatives lawyers apparently ! possibly a curator situation as I think the rental cash is to go to a care home :-(

Tested Zs and the reading is way too high anyway as is at 1.67 ohms on an old Wylex 60898 mcb, two blade type B that fits in old BS3036 CU / 3kA ones. Hoping just a sketchy old socket or loose termination but has green goo issue too !

Anyone think loose connection could explain the higher Zs ? found a few spurs run surface etc.. but whole house should be under 100M² anyway as quite a small bungalow.

Did they ask you to do an EICR or did they ask you to do an EICR and bring the installation up to scratch? If it was just an EICR then you can only write down what you find and give them the report. If it is effectively two radial circuits then there may be quite a high Zs. Try testing Zs near the consumer unit and then work away from it, if it jumps suddenly then maybe there is a poor connection. I suspect if you have the green goo issue then the cpc will only be 1.0mm which wont help Zs readings.

Thanks, yes just initially an EICR, originally there were 3 x 2.5mm T&E cables but one now removed and new small ring installed to feed two new sockets in garage from a seperate way.

Is on a 32A which was the concern and was going to C2 the issue of no continuity.

I'll try and get them to agree to a few brief tests so they don't panic over cost.

Thanks.

If you have no ring continuity at all on all cores then this sounds like the ring has been deliberately broken, possibly to add another socket without rejoining the ring.
Though I have found a few times an unconnected cable sitting loose in a back box!
If the ring were complete then the Zs would very likely be compliant as you are only measuring one leg at the moment and measuring two legs would be two conductors in parallel.
For the EICR that is completed. Test to check the likely cause/location and proceed from there, your Zs results for each socket should give you a clue to the location.

Is it definitely a Type B, some of those mcbs are Type 2. Check the writing on the side of it because the B32 on the front of it is a catalogue number and does not indicate the type.

Hey all,
Been to do an EICR on an oldish property before rental plus add in some sockets in garage etc..

Problems mostly been sorted while doing the new sockets etc.. but have no r1,rn or r2 on what I presume is supposed to be a ring final covering the entire house. I haven't gone any further with the diagnosis on this circuit as yet due to the estimate for sorting will need to go through the relatives lawyers apparently ! possibly a curator situation as I think the rental cash is to go to a care home :-(

Tested Zs and the reading is way too high anyway as is at 1.67 ohms on an old Wylex 60898 mcb, two blade type B that fits in old BS3036 CU / 3kA ones. Hoping just a sketchy old socket or loose termination but has green goo issue too !

Anyone think loose connection could explain the higher Zs ? found a few spurs run surface etc.. but whole house should be under 100M² anyway as quite a small bungalow.
Your doing an inspection as well as testing what have you come across on inspection of a sample of example socket connections?

Hey, only checked sockets in kitchen so far as not complete on the condition report and they asked for 100% of the installation so will go over the rest and check out the jb's I've found hidden away too. I think they've messed up adding in spurs along the way and there are a few odd sockets added seperately to the main identified mcb too.

Hey, only checked sockets in kitchen so far as not complete on the condition report and they asked for 100% of the installation so will go over the rest and check out the jb's I've found hidden away too. I think they've messed up adding in spurs along the way and there are a few odd sockets added seperately to the main identified mcb too.
Sorry thought that you had completed the EICR.

No worries, all good advice on here that's what helps me. I'm not highly experienced as yet as only been on my own quite a short time and am learning more and more while testing etc.. thanks to all.
That's the main thing come back to the thread and let us know the outcome a lot don't on here and the thread just ends as we can all learn something along the way by sharing how we found the problem and how to overcome it.

That's the main thing come back to the thread and let us know the outcome a lot don't on here and the thread just ends as we can all learn something along the way by sharing how we found the problem and how to overcome it.
Ok Anthony, will do although I doubt I'll be of any use to far more experienced & qualified guys & girls on here. :thumbsup:

Its not just the experienced and qualified who find this useful. Most trainees and improvers can learn from peoples posts as well so an update post on your findings and outcome is most useful.

Its not just the experienced and qualified who find this useful. Most trainees and improvers can learn from peoples posts as well so an update post on your findings and outcome is most useful.
Hey gents / ladies, have finally sorted the issue as been back. Methodically worked around the sockets on the supposed ring final as one of old MK outlets ( 4 screws on frontplate ) was seeping green goo and the line cables plus a spurred twin were barely touching terminal and the lot fell out upon undoing the 4 screws !

Ended up livening up one leg at a time from board and found a single socket had feed in at 250V but outgoing leg was dead from the socket, went back and livened other leg at board and had all other sockets fed except this one. Traced through loft to find where twins were run in wall to below offending socket and followed outgoing dead leg down edge of roof by soffits and once virtually back around 8-9 mtrs away next to loft hatch I saw a 2.5 looking cable appear then dive into rock wool again so I killed mcb and slowly pulled and it seemed loose.
Kept going and cable was stripped bare and taped on the ends with brown ( crispy ) parcel tape !!

Sure enough for whatever reason this was the break, broke a spur from a Jb in loft and extended the ring to add the spurred socket into the ring and back on the found loose cable and sure enough all results were good.
r1 0.38
rn 0.38
r2 0.66 or so haven't got work with me tonight.
R1+R2 0.62
Zs from original 1.55 ohms down to 0.88 and compliant finally.

Thanks all, was wondering if they had doubled radials up for a while but on a 30A mcb or a bad ring and it was.

Last edited:
Where in the channel islands are you from m8 if its Jersey do you remember Raffles the nightclub by any chance lol I had many a good night in there in the late 80s
Yes mate Jersey that place has been renamed around 10 times ! Now a furniture store on the 3 floors. Was busy as in there but now all full on cocktail lounges and all that, still probably more pubs then should be allowed in Europe though. Everyone likes a scoop on the rock !!

Reply to EICR issues and small works. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock