Discuss EICR Main Switch/circuit breaker in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If I were doing the EICR for an insurance company, who have less than intelligent conditions of addressing all C3s, then it would be no code as the switches are all in close proximity, if it were being done privately then C3 on the schedule of inspections as this would be a recommended improvement for safety. N/A on the installation details and each individual main switch identified in the schedule of test results.
So you apply if the installation complies with BS7671 Amd 3 depending who you are doing the EICR for ?.C3 is improvement recommended/does not comply with the latest regs

on the napit forms there's an option to just add items as a "note" if they aren't due a classification code so that is what I do when installations are like this, which is seems is the right thing to do afterall

So you apply if the installation complies with BS7671 Amd 3 depending who you are doing the EICR for ?.C3 is improvement recommended/does not comply with the latest regs
C3 is for a non compliance with BS7617 that may give rise to danger and so improvement is recommended but it is not a situation of immediate danger or where a fault may cause danger.
Where I am aware that an inappropriate level of importance will be assigned to my professional observation that a low level of danger may arise, then I will modify my report to ensure that it is not misinterpreted by uninformed persons.

All of the regulations exist for the purpose of ensuring a safe installation.

An EICR should not be tailored to suit who will be reading it. If an improvement for safety can be recommended then it should be recommended to everyone, not just the people who are more likely to ignore it. If an insurance company is going to insist on having every recommendation for improvement acted upon them that is a good thing, it is the ideal situation that every possible safety improvement is insisted on.

The requirement for a single main switch has been in the regulations in various forms since the first edition so there is no way it can be argued that it complied at the time of installation without one. The purpose of a single main switch is to allow the simple and total isolation of the entire installation in any situation when it is necessary, especially in emergency situations.
Its easy enough to identify multiple points of isolation in normal conditions, but in an emergency situation the tendency towards panic takes over and makes everything a lot more difficult.

Along with your scheme technical helpline does anyone use the IET tech line?
I have done once and they had different advice from the NICEIC helpline.

Along with your scheme technical helpline does anyone use the IET tech line?
I have done once and they had different advice from the NICEIC helpline.
Now why doesn't that surprise me?

Reply to EICR Main Switch/circuit breaker in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock