Discuss EICR on a church in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not really. You will have to review the emergency lighting set-up as it is a public building. Not directly related to the EICR but a note attached to the report will cover you.

Damp, cold, and possibly lots of DIY of various competency. Same as usual really.

Did remedials in one (listed building) and was forever trying to ensure that I missed the historic crucifix mounted above the alter with my ladders and I had to dismantle part of the organ to get access to the cables. Someone, many years ago had forgotten the minor detail of a CPC to the lights on one side of the church, they were all over 4M high and wired via the apex of the roof.

Damp, cold, and possibly lots of DIY of various competency. Same as usual really.

Did remedials in one (listed building) and was forever trying to ensure that I missed the historic crucifix mounted above the alter with my ladders and I had to dismantle part of the organ to get access to the cables. Someone, many years ago had forgotten the minor detail of a CPC to the lights on one side of the church, they were all over 4M high and wired via the apex of the roof.

If this is an ancient church, i'm very surprised that the installation wasn't MICC throughout. Most insurance companies insist on it, and have done for a good number of years now, for these very old stone and wood churches....

Cheers guys thought that might be the case, couldn't find anything on churches specifically or heard anything before, it is an old one a grade 2 listed apparently it was burnt in a fire in 1616 so it been there for a wile.
Thanks again
David

If this is an ancient church, i'm very surprised that the installation wasn't MICC throughout. Most insurance companies insist on it, and have done for a good number of years now, for these very old stone and wood churches....

You know, that was what my old man told me when i did my first periodic on a church many years ago with him and it wasn't MICC - was t+e. This was a very old stone built church aswell. Obviouslly not doubting ure superior knowledge E54...excuse the pun, but was it 'set in stone' that they had to be installed with MICC back then? Not sure what my old man did to get round the problem of if he contacted anyone as i was only a lad, didn't ask the question which i probably should of. Just cracked on with the job lol.

Not that ancient but these conservation people like to list everything and put conservation areas around everything else. The wiring was all T&E and the porcelain screwits, which were all making excellent connections, and some not very well done additions. All the circuits had CPCs but they had not bothered to take the lighting CPC to one side of the church which included the external lights. Found lots of old gas pipes though. They are now thinking about rewiring it and it all has to be MICC. Not sure if it was an insurance requirement as the various church bodies all recommend MICC so not sure which came first. They got an architect to devise a new lighting scheme, he specified the most expensive fittings etc. Problem is they cannot afford it.

Hi,

Not sure if this applies, but a Heating Engineer friend of mine has just renewed his Public Liability Insurance for the work he does, mainly servicing.
Anyway, he had a hell of a job to get this and he only services the appliances in ONE church. The problem was all down to the church work he carries out once a year.
Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Regards.

Not that ancient but these conservation people like to list everything and put conservation areas around everything else. The wiring was all T&E and the porcelain screwits, which were all making excellent connections, and some not very well done additions. All the circuits had CPCs but they had not bothered to take the lighting CPC to one side of the church which included the external lights. Found lots of old gas pipes though. They are now thinking about rewiring it and it all has to be MICC. Not sure if it was an insurance requirement as the various church bodies all recommend MICC so not sure which came first. They got an architect to devise a new lighting scheme, he specified the most expensive fittings etc. Problem is they cannot afford it.

The church bodies are influenced very much by the insurance companies cover premiums, and the longevity associated with MICC installations. MICC also lends itself very well having a small CSA, to blending into stone work and wood within these ancient churches, in many cases almost disappearing from being noticed.

MICC maybe an expensive initial outlay compared with other wiring systems, but will out last all of them. I wouldn't be surprised at all, if such installations wouldn't still be giving stirling service a 100 years hence from when it was installed... lol!!

Reply to EICR on a church in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net