Discuss EICR on a Sunday in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lewis85

Working Sunday's suck! Let alone doing condition report for someone that thinks your waiting to find faults and rip them off! People out of the trade just don't get it do they! You point out things that are unsafe/dangerous and they look at you like it should be rectified in the price?? I'm beginning to think they ain't worth the hassle. Done a full test on the property took off around 90% of fronts and then crawled around in a ****ty loft! Didn't even get a cup of tea!!

Does anyone avoid these?? This year I'm hoping to get some work with the local estate agent (they seem keen) but after this ball ache I think I'm going to regret it as this is something they will want doing a lot.

Working Sunday's is great, it's at least double the money :)
Yes EICRs are boring as hell and a pita
I only do them for regular customers as its part of the Maintainence works

The way to prove you are not out to rip them off by finding fault is to bill them for the report and decline to quote for the remedial work. :)
The chances of getting in with an estate agent/letting agent that will pay the proper price for a report and be interested in ordering the required remedial work for a similarly good price is slim at best, but you may have a good one, who knows.

Done them for about six months when i first went on my own but soon knocked it on the head. To many cowboys knocking them out 4 a day for half what i was charging and customers arguing that when you give them an unsatisfactory saying why when its been ok for the last so many years.

I do a lot of work for the family that rent this property out so thought I'd do it for them but geez it's a pain, I left with a list of remedial work to be done but your looked at like your lying because they don't understand oh and mainly because there family member done work there and he knows electrics (works in there restaurant) not a spark at all.

When you have presented a report with regulations referenced by number for each observation then they can't really argue. They are perfectly within their rights to ignore the report of they wish

When you have presented a report with regulations referenced by number for each observation then they can't really argue. They are perfectly within their rights to ignore the report of they wish

They still try.
Not EICRs but when ive done reports on fire alarms backed up by regs etc, you still get them typical stingy customers who say no, you're wrong. I read this on the internet and its not the same as what you're saying...

They still try.
Not EICRs but when ive done reports on fire alarms backed up by regs etc, you still get them typical stingy customers who say no, you're wrong. I read this on the internet and its not the same as what you're saying...

I had one of them arguments yesterday when someone accused my mate the plumber of fitting the wrong size flex to an immersion heater.
I had to go round there with my regs book to prove to them that the 1.5mm butyl he fitted is correct, they were insistent that 2.5 is needed for a 3kw load!

Customers always right....... Because there friends friends gardeners postman who's also an electrician told them so! Happy days

A little knowledge is dangerous and when people have to reluctantly pay out for services, they would rather believe the little knowledge they heard from Dave down the pub rather than the correct knowledge from a trained professional who's spent years at college and in an apprenticeship which has probably cost them thousands to do!

Never had a problem to be honest I just say it in laymen's terms and explain things to make them see that I care about their safety and give them all their options and I always say I will only give them costs if asked, 9/10 they ask their and then and 7-8/10 they get it booked in their and then .

The job I mentioned above the bloke is some kind of air-con installer and apparently they always use 2.5mm for 3kw loads!

Just cos it's standard. And people get stuck in their ways and think it's the only option without looking into the ratings of the cable sizes.

A little knowledge is dangerous and when people have to reluctantly pay out for services, they would rather believe the little knowledge they heard from Dave down the pub rather than the correct knowledge from a trained professional who's spent years at college and in an apprenticeship which has probably cost them thousands to do!

And customers always say WHY are you locking that mcb " awnser to that is people like to get abit curious and I'm not keen on shocks.
Generally the more the customer knows or I'd familiar with electrics the more I tent to be on my guard.

And customers always say WHY are you locking that mcb " awnser to that is people like to get abit curious and I'm not keen on shocks.
Generally the more the customer knows or I'd familiar with electrics the more I tent to be on my guard.

I rarely use this phrase, but this is one of the questions I will answer with 'it's the law'

Reply to EICR on a Sunday in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net