Discuss Eicr on a van with commado plug and inverter in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

martinxxxxxx

I add this here although i have asked the same question elsewhere - i want to see what your opinions are

I went to do an inpection on a Van today which had a massive inverter (200A 100A per outlet), this inverter is victron energy blue power range makeand can accept mains power and solar power and do all the management between the different energy sources.
The things that bothered me were that the consumer unit was connected to the inverter via 2.5mm TE and that the bonding is only 2.5mm to the chassis.
The consumer unit has 3 socket circuits each on a B10 mcb and a 100A RCD Mainswitch. no fusing between the inverter and the cu
I am going to have to have a look at the regs very closley before I write this up, but a quick look and i also think the bonding wires are not fine stranded.

Dont think BS 7671 deals with vehicles, why an EICR it's a VAN for Gods sake

pete is definitely rusty. i told the care home to bring him inside if it started to rain. :39:

OK OK OKay Alright Alright I was avin a moment fer Gods sake leave me alone will you we screw up sometimes Jezz it was a silly mistake Off to bed now wiv me Horlicks see you all tomoz, anyone would think I killed someone, get the wife to get me some humble pie when she goes to Tesco.

Last edited:
OK OK OKay Alright Alright I was avin a moment fer Gods sake leave me alone will you we screw up sometimes Jezz it was a silly mistake Off to bed now wiv me Horlicks see you all tomoz, anyone would think I killed someone, get the wife to get me some humble pie when she goes to Tesco.
Strange name for the missus Pete

Last edited:
I add this here although i have asked the same question elsewhere - i want to see what your opinions are

I went to do an inpection on a Van today which had a massive inverter (200A 100A per outlet), this inverter is victron energy blue power range makeand can accept mains power and solar power and do all the management between the different energy sources.
The things that bothered me were that the consumer unit was connected to the inverter via 2.5mm TE and that the bonding is only 2.5mm to the chassis.
The consumer unit has 3 socket circuits each on a B10 mcb and a 100A RCD Mainswitch. no fusing between the inverter and the cu
I am going to have to have a look at the regs very closley before I write this up, but a quick look and i also think the bonding wires are not fine stranded.

I have been testing vans and mobile workshops for many years for British Gas. Network Rail, Western Power etc...
1. fist of all make sure you read section 7 in the regs book for details with particular reference to mobile workshops and vans etc...
2. you must have electrical separation from the inverter supply ie. the battery negative and vehicle chassis.
3 the supply must be protected by an RCD device
4. you will probably need to link the earth and the neutral at source
5 an emergency switch must be fitted to the inverter supply or the supply must be automatically energised.
6 if the the ac supply is from a generator this must have an earth monitoring device fitted.
7 if electrical equipment is to used outside of the vehicle (powered from inside of the vehicle) it must be class 2 or double insulated and an earth spike/tape deployed.
8 Be careful as to how long you recommend between testing intervals as the vans are subject to vibrations etc.

I have spent many hours on the phone with NICEIC and the IET and in the end the IET put me in touch with the head of electrical testing at the BBC who were most helpful in providing information on how there mobile units are setup and testing.

Reply to Eicr on a van with commado plug and inverter in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net