Discuss EICR: Operational Limitations Wording in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We carried out an EICR of a 30 yr old commercial unit for insurance purposes, drew out the plan/location of the electrical equipment.

When testing the wiring, we identified surplus wiring that currently serves no purpose and is probably terminated elsewhere in the building and did not waste too much time trying to find it, the client was happy for us take this approach.

What wording would you use when describing this in the operational limitations section of an EICR, we would like to cover ourselves and keep the client happy?

Well not having much experience with doing insurance EICRs, I would have thought that IF the unrelated wiring is running through/ in the building you are inspecting then it will still pose a possible danger to the unit in question. The point I'm trying to make is, would you not, be responsible, should any of this unrelated wiring go faulty and cause a fire, or in the worst scenario cause death by electrocution? just my thoughts.

best solution would be to isolate the unknown . inform client and ask him to phone when and if he finds something not working that should be.

More to the point, the unrelated wiring could make the insurance void?

if my name was glenn, i'd tell you to go back and do the job properly. find the suspects and isolate if unused.

if my name was glenn, i'd tell you to go back and do the job properly. find the suspects and isolate if unused.

What's that mean Tel lol

Write down what was agreed with client , as said above I would have isolated if possible, as it's for insurance purposes extent should have been agreed with them and client. This is along the lines of a 2391 question.

I agree if it's redundant get rid, but it sounds as though this wiring is feeding something else in a different part of the building, maybe supplying someone else's equipment you can't just disconnect it, it warrants further investigation

We had a through look round the building and could not identify these circuits, the client does not want us to disturb office staff by trying to trace cables, we then turned off the MCBs and waited to see if anyone complained, nobody did.

I will mention on the EICR as a C2 that the unidentified circuits should be disconnected.

Thanks very much for all your feedback.

Reply to EICR: Operational Limitations Wording in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net