Discuss EICR report - extent of testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
im recently qualified and have now been taken by a company as a spark. Part of my job now sometimes involves conducting eicr reports in domestic properties/hmo. I was wondering how much of the installation people test in a 'real life situation'. I know in college it's drummed into you to go through all of the tests (crippler). I have been pretty much doing all these tests so far, however, talking to other sparks they seem to do it very differently. Most seem to be just content with ze, ring continuity, zs and trip times.

Also as it's not a fault finding exercise rather detailing if the installation has deteriorated is it ok to start reducing the scope of testing once the results are constantly coming back as satisfactory. The reason I ask is because I don't want to be Taking apart every light and socket in the people's homes unnecessarily. Someone said it's ok to just test 25% of the installation if no problems arise. Does this sound acceptable?

The testing of circuits should be 100% unless the client requests different. Sample inspection of accessories can be limited if initial inspections prove to be satisfactory. The visual inspection is always the most important part but the physical testing of circuits must never be watered down.

Depends on what is agreed with the person ordering the work. Also lims agreed with the client. As for dismantling very little is to be done the less the better. If you have previous reports then yes sampling is ok if you do not and there are no records sampling becomes less possible. If you start on sampling 20% light switches or testing and find really poor results then further investigation will be required. Very much driven by the sample rate pass rate if you like.

You should be removing for inspection the percentage of items agreed and stated on the eicr
If a property has 10 light switches,perhaps take one or two off down and one or two off the up
Take a Zs at the furthest point and also make use of a wander lead for R2s
If it has 2 rings,you can test the continuity at a socket you remove,rather like killing 2 birds with one stone
If the removed items shows the need for concern,then increase the percentage being removed,if it looks fine, your companies agreement is fulfilled and you have not ripped the place to shreds

Get a feel for what you consider is safe and a good standard and let that be your guide

Too many limitations.
Can't turn certain circuits off for operation purposes.
Most of the time can't do a ze test.
Fire alarm circuit can't be turned off etc
Planning is the key to commercial and a lot of planning with industrial. I have worked on large sites for two or three months and you can spend a couple of weeks skirting essential circuits and getting a lay of the land plotting and planning. You can can start several boards at once and in some cases taking weeks to finish it going back and forth as downtime /planning permits. Fire alarms, turn them off anytime you want.

Planning is the key to commercial and a lot of planning with industrial. I have worked on large sites for two or three months and you can spend a couple of weeks skirting essential circuits and getting a lay of the land plotting and planning. You can can start several boards at once and in some cases taking weeks to finish it going back and forth as downtime /planning permits. Fire alarms, turn them off anytime you want.
Yeah but when you've not got weeks to do that sort of thing your kinda limited
Hence client limitations or operational limitations
Never have I had weeks to test a commercial office.
Try a week at the most
Can't test circuits when the client won't shut the computers down etc
As for fire alarms certain clients health and safety policies won't allow the power to be disconnected in any circumstances

Last edited:
I have never done a commercial site where it is not possible to test computer power. The sites I talk of are large with up to a thousand circuits but even small sites which can encompass a couple of days work it is never impossible. Prior discussion is essential as to what the task encompasses with you being totally flexible as to when it can be done even if it is four in the morning.

I have never done a commercial site where it is not possible to test computer power. The sites I talk of are large with up to a thousand circuits but even small sites which can encompass a couple of days work it is never impossible. Prior discussion is essential as to what the task encompasses with you being totally flexible as to when it can be done even if it is four in the morning.[/QUOTE
We are testing in different words Westwood as basically I've got the hrs of 8-4 a day

Limitations are a cop out, if your hours are cast in stone then domestic can be the only option because commercial/ industrial requires working flexibility to carry out the task correctly.

Limitations are a cop out, if your hours are cast in stone then domestic can be the only option because commercial/ industrial requires working flexibility to carry out the task correctly.
Limitations are acceptable and are sometimes the most realistic options for a small business who won't allow personal into their property at bleeding 3 in the morning so they can test a fire alarm circuit.

Why can't you turn off a fire alarm circuit you can do it any time.
I've already mentioned the reason in an earlier post.
also the hassle of contacting fire department as some alarms ring though to them
If the client won't allow down time for certain circuits then it's a limitation on the certificate.
Do you think they want to pay for an electrician to come out after hours??
The eicr becomes less valuable shall we say if limitations are imposed but nethertheless they are acceptable and are permitted

I test the fire alarm supply any time night or day makes no difference if it is monitored or not. I am sensing Reports of Limitations here.

Reply to EICR report - extent of testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net